Gumpaste Flowers - Use Wired Sprays Or In Fondant Like Toba?

Decorating By PattyT Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 3:09am by milkmaid42

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:51am
post #1 of 6

Hello again CC! This current cake is testing my limits! icon_redface.gif

Bridal shower using 12-10-8 squares stepped back. I've made an assortment of gumpaste flowers on wire and want to place little arrangements on the tops of each tier.

Do I create little sprays with floral tape and just set them on the tiers (I bought some food safe acetate) *OR* I see in Toba Garrett's book, that she uses a fondant ball and creates arrangements by sticking the wires in that.

Does anyone have a preference?

As always - thanks everyone!

5 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:06am
post #2 of 6

you can do whatever gives the look the bride wants/ works for you.
personally id lean towards wired sprays, but that is because its what i know how to do best!
xx

PattyT Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks brincess_b, I appreciate your response.
They know I'm just a hobby baker, so will let me work within my skill level. I've never done either so wondered what others had found works best.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 6

I have done both. It actually depends on what the bride wants as brincess_b advised. I like to make a wired spray, combined with a gum paste base. You can see an example with the silver roses in my pictures. This gives the bride the option to easily remove and save the arrangement if she wishes. It also gives you a little flexibility when you are composing your arrangement.

PattyT Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

I have done both. It actually depends on what the bride wants as brincess_b advised. I like to make a wired spray, combined with a gum paste base. You can see an example with the silver roses in my pictures. This gives the bride the option to easily remove and save the arrangement if she wishes. It also gives you a little flexibility when you are composing your arrangement.

Holy Cow...that silver rose spray is just beautiful! Also the flowers on the lovely pink cake for your friend. Very nice.

So I prepare a wired spray in the size/shape/arrangement I like - then stick or press that into the gumpaste base? It's perfect solution because you can then cover any wire you have to with a leaf or flower.

Thanks very much.
Pat

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:09am
post #6 of 6

You've got it! Part of it is wired in the curvature I wanted, then the rest filled in directly into the gum paste. The flowers on the heart cake were stuck into coffee straws and then into the cake. No wire touched the actual cake. And thanks for the compliment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%