Leaning Cake - Help!

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm by brincess_b

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #1 of 13

My first stacked 3 tiered cake is due tomorrow (for a colleague's retirement party) and it's leaning to the back! icon_cry.gif I thought it was level, but obviously not...
Can I take extra cake boards and try to prop up? Any other advice? It's a really heavy cake (10X4X8X4X6X4).

And any advice for leveling in the future? I only have the small Wilton one (and it bends), can't afford the Agbay and wonder if the large Wilton is worth investing in?
TIA!

Terri

12 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:59am
post #2 of 13

Do you have enough support inside? Usually cakes lean because the support is insufficient.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #3 of 13

You should be able to level it with the support system. Did you cut all of your dowels/straws the same length?

cakesrock Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:33am
post #4 of 13

Yes, I do have enough support inside (6 dowels in 10", 4 in 8" and a centre dowel all the way through because I have to transport). At least I thought that was enough (Edna says every 2 inches, right)? And they are cut even)
Unfortunately, after I put on the fondant, the 10" looked a bit off before I stacked....but it was too late to do anything at that point!

What now?

Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:34am
post #5 of 13

And no the large Wilton leveler isn't any better. Wilton = not good.

Good advice above on making sure the support system is doing it's work.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:43am
post #6 of 13

Read Leah_s tagline about SPS. It will help in the future as long as your cakes are 4" high. Love it and no leaning.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 13

If you used dowels they could be leaning inside the cake (I hate dowels). Short of taking it apart and redoing it there isn't much you can do.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 13

Do you have a board between each level? I feel your pain, hope it works out for you.

cakesrock Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:41am
post #9 of 13

Thanks for the "support"! I ended up folding an 8" cake board and putting it underneath. It lifted the cake enough to pass. It ruined my border, so I filled in the gaps with BC (but it was at the back so not as noticeable).

It turned out okay for my first 3 tiered and everyone at the party loved it! But I will be even more careful about leveling in the future!
LL

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #10 of 13

I really like the colours and design. the lean is not that bad. as long as the customer liked it thats all that matters!

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:40am
post #11 of 13

Sooooooooooooo cute, nice save.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 13

Great thinking! Nice save! (I've used rolled up snakes of fondant fro shims before. Works like a charm).

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 13

You need to worry a lot less about the levelling of ur cakes and more about the support. As long as the support is strong and straight, level doesn't matter, apart from having to hide the gaps.

It's important to use a strong board at the base too - too weak a board means the board might bend, the cake might move and so the dowels might move = leaning.

It looks like the cakes settled a bit after fondanting, if that happened while stacked, again, the dowels could have moved =leaning.

U mention the 10inch was a bit off before u stacked it. Unfortunatly u are best to strip the cake and start again, cause leaving it means u are more likely to have problems.

The cake it's self looks good though icon_smile.gif and at least u learnt for the next one!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%