Kitchenaid Repair, Etc

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 1:04pm by costumeczar

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 8

Ugh...having to pay over $200 to get my two KA's repaired.... how much should I be paying in maintenance for mixers, or do I need to put some new, differently branded mixers on my wish list?

Are there any commercial mixers that would fit on a residential countertop that would be worth buying? I don't want to pay out the butt for a mixer but on the other hand I don't want to pay a few hundred bucks each year for maintenance either, if that's not normal.

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 8

Geez...That sounds awful high..I have had my two mixers..a 4.5 and 5 quart for almost 10 years now and I have never had to have either fixed for any reason...I mix icing and cake batter almost everyday....Were they refurbished when you bought them?

Kitagrl Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Geez...That sounds awful high..I have had my two mixers..a 4.5 and 5 quart for almost 10 years now and I have never had to have either fixed for any reason...I mix icing and cake batter almost everyday....Were they refurbished when you bought them?

This is the SECOND time I've had to have one of them repaired! And I've had one maybe 6 years, and one maybe 2 years.

The 6 year old one was new, but got it new on Ebay, it was a QVC special edition 6 qt. It has cracked gears and housing for the second time in 6 years. I didn't realize it was QVC at first, because the Ebay ad didn't say that...its just I looked it up later and found out.

The 2 year old one is a refurbished 600 watt Professional one...the only thing wrong with it (although still $98 fix) is the speed control or something. I guess its not so cheap buying refurb if you have to get it repaired! I had a 4.5 qt refurb one and it worked fine but I sold it for cheap to a "friend" who was getting into doing cookies...but she's not a friend anymore. Wish I had kept it. Oh well.

The place we take them to is a place in Philly which is supposedly the closest Kitchenaid approved repair place in our area.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 8

Wow..That is too bad..I guess it is like buying a new car..Sometimes you get a Lemon! Hopefully you won't have to repair them again...

cakerygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerygirl Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 8

I would definitely figure out if spending that amount of money on it would be worth it. I use a kitchen aid professional series, 6 quart, and have had it for years, and still running strong. I agree, sometimes you get a lemon. icon_sad.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:57am
post #6 of 8

With the discounts available on new mixers, I'd never spend $100 each to get a refurb and a 6 y.o. mixer fixed. I'd just consider what I'd spent on them as the "rent" and move on to something with a new warranty.

If you get 6 years out of mixer and it ran you $300, then you paid about $1/wk. for using it. Really, that's not a bad deal at all, especially if it's gotten pretty heavy use. Stuff breaks..............

I love my 6qt. KA Pro. I'd had it a month and it started to sound funny. I called KA and after the woman on the phone listened to it, she agreed that it didn't sound right. They paid for me to ship it back and I had a brand new mixer in less than a week.

I know that others have had issues with KA at times, but it is the most readily accessible large mixer. You also have lots of spare parts, having owned several, so that's a real saving if you replace with the same type.

I hear good things about Viking and DeLonghi. My understanding of the really large commercial mixers is that they don't do well with smaller loads.

JMHO
Rae

Kitagrl Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:25pm
post #7 of 8

Well I probably won't get them repaired again...but for me, $200 spent on two mixers is cheaper (for now) than buying two new ones for $300 each.

I'm sure I will have to replace them fairly soon...the one 6 year old one seems to have an issue with cracking gears and housing (since it was a QVC model I suppose it was meant to be sold to housewives who wouldn't really use it much) but maybe the $200 will get me another year or two out of them. Then at least I can replace them one at a time.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 8

I've burned out two 6-qt professional KA mixers, so it does happen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%