Best Cake And Method For Transporting Cake 2 Hours Away

Decorating By jleigh982 Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm by leah_s

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 5

ok so up until now all of my cakes have been for friends and family that lived fairly close to me (i think the furthest distance ive delivered was 30 minutes away) but i have a very special cake to deliver tomorrow and problem is SHE IS 2 HOURS AWAY!!!!! YIKES!!! so heres my question....whats the best way to go about this? the cake is a 3 tier cake similar to this one...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1571588.html (credit to andreah)

I usually do a few dowels, then a separator plate, then cake and repeat. problem is, im worried about the cake shifting. i've heard of "center rods" that connect in the middle of the plates rather than on the four sides but i've never seen or used them

if anyone has any advice on how i can make this cake happen and/or any scratch cake recipes that will hold together during travel better then "box cake" PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP!!! usually i would just say frget it and not bother with a cake of this distance, but this cake is VERY IMPORTANT TO ME and i would love nothing more then t make it happen. thanx CC'ers

4 replies
jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 5

oh and i may be dealing with a few bad patches of road so it has to be SUPER STURDY! lol i know, its a power task...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 5

if you're SUPER scared, box each cake up separately and assemble on-site!!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

if you're SUPER scared, box each cake up separately and assemble on-site!!

I agree. I did a three tier cake for my grandma's 90th birthday and had to drive it (ok, my dad drove it, but whatever) 200 miles. I did as much decorating at home as I could. I iced and covered each tier in fondant. And did the fondant decorations and made the gumpaste flowers in advance. I doweled each cake and boxed them up separately. When the cake arrived, all I had to do was stack 'em up, attach the flowers, pipe borders and drive a central dowel down the middle (it still had to be transported from my parents' house to a church).
As far as recipes go, as long as your support structure is good, most any cake should do fine during transportation.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 5

Just remember SPS for next time. Since you probably have to order it, you can't get it for this cake. It was designed for transporting cakes by consumers.

I'd advise to transport each tier separately and assembly onsite.

That whole center dowel thing is false security. If your cake is really going sideways,the dowel will stay firmly embedded in the bottom board - as it tears thru your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%