How Do I Use Sugarveil Without The Sugarveil Mat

Decorating By bakingshell Updated 5 Sep 2013 , 5:16am by emilyg

bakingshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingshell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 24

Ok, So here is my problem I can't afford to purchase the Sugarveil mat but would love to get a lace design for the side of my cake. Does anyone know how to use Sugarveil other then putting it on the mat. icon_cry.gif

23 replies
charlene008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlene008 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 24

I've used Sugarveil twice and only purchased the actual product. I believe it tells you in the directions to crisco up wax paper. I didn't have any problems with it sticking that way. I used it to make spiderman webs, not lace but can't see how it wouldn't work! Hope this helps.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 24

well, i have used it on a silicone place mat (the cheap ones you get at walmarts) with out any problems. I don't see why you couldn't use it on waxed paper or parchment.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #4 of 24

You can Crisco parchment paper and it will work just fine.

bakingshell Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:38am
post #5 of 24

Ok thanks for the ideas everyone but I need a lace design I can get it not to stick with your ideas about that but can anyone help with the lace part of it?

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 10:54am
post #6 of 24

I misunderstood your question. Sorry about that, you are talking about the lace mat, not the silicone mat. You just need to find a copy of a piece of lace that you like. Sugarveil.com actually has some on their website I beleive, print it out, tape it to a table with a piece of criscoed parchment, also taped down to the table. Then just trace the design by piping on the sugarveil since you can see through the parchment. Let the Sugarveil set and peal it off. Its a lot more work, but worth it.

bakingshell Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #7 of 24

Thank you so much icing I was having so much trouble figuring out how to use this stuff. I just saw it and really wanted to try soemthing new. Againt thanks and I will post a pic after trying it. icon_lol.gif

flicksfancies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flicksfancies Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 7:14am
post #8 of 24

Just seen this and wondering how u got on?? I too really want to try this but at £49 per mat i can't afford to icon_sad.gif

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 24

I was just looking at these lace mats this morning. I think you're talking about the ones with the impression--you just spread the product over the top, then let it dry--no piping!!
I too was wondering if the was a cheaper option...

TJJJJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJJJJ Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 24

I completely agree, it is very expensive. I have thought of how to make it and it is very complicated and costly, so unfortunately paying up and buying the mat is the best thing to do to save the fuss, bother and potential wasted money of trying to re-create.

But! a good idea is to buy the mat and then sell the finished product (lace designs) to friends, I believe two lace designs are going for 10 Pounds at the moment for other people who cant afford the mat and just want it for one cake or some designs.I believe they do well in the post if packaged right. So the mat will pay itself off in no time + maybe more money in the kitty for another mat design!

=)

pooch64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooch64 Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 8:21pm
post #11 of 24

I actually made my own lace mat using a vinyl tabecloth and silicone mold.  Worked like a charm!

galidink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galidink Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 24

any one have a good recipe for sugarveil ?

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 5:12pm
post #13 of 24

Sugarveil is Sugarveil, and I'm quite sure they haven't released their recipe to the general public.

cheras Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheras Posted 5 May 2013 , 1:24am
post #14 of 24

hello, i was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your technique with the vinyll placemat. thanks!!!

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 5 May 2013 , 3:11am
post #15 of 24

I wonder if a doily would work.?

PudsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PudsMom Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 5:53am
post #16 of 24

AI am wanting to use SV for a Spiderman web, how did u do it. I've never used it before, so any tips would be helpful, TIA!:grin:

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Jul 2013 , 5:55am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PudsMom 

I am wanting to use SV for a Spiderman web, how did u do it. I've never used it before, so any tips would be helpful, TIA!icon_biggrin.gif

I use SV every once in awhile, and I haven't bothered to buy a mat. You can just use parchment paper. Put a printed or hand drawn web underneath the parchment paper, and pipe away.

CakePrincessPE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePrincessPE Posted 20 Jul 2013 , 11:43am
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by galidink 

any one have a good recipe for sugarveil ?

I picked this up off this website yesterday:

OPTION ONE
3 egg whites
1Tbsp Cream of Tartar
2lbs Powder Sugar
1 pkg Gelatin (dissolved in a little bit of water)
2 cups MM (melted)

OPTION TWO
Ingredients
3 Tablespoons Meringue Powder 
6 Tablespoons Water 
1 Tablespoon Cream of Tarter 
1 Tsp Vanella 
1 1/2-2 pounds Powdered Sugar 
2 cups Marshmallows (squish into measuring cup as much as you can) melted 
8 Packages Geletin 
1 Cup Hot Water 
Food dye gel

Instructions
3 Tablespoons meringue powder, 6 Tablespoons Water, 1 Tablespoon Cream of Tarter, 1 tsp vanella, mix well with wisk until lumps are gone. Add Powdered Sugar until it is about twice as thick as buttercream icing. (very stiff) may be lumpy. Add melted marshmallows. Dump 8 packages of geletin into a separate bowl and mix with 1 cup hot water, wisk until all lumps are gone. Add to Previous mixture by pouring geletin mixture through a strainer, and mix with a wisk until smooth. Add food gel dye to desired color and then microwave entire mixture 20 seconds at a time until very warm and mixture is smooth. Pour into piping bag and using a #5 tip pipe webs onto wax paper covered with a good layer of crisco to prevent sticking. If you don't use crisco they will stick to wax paper. Let set up for about 4-5 hours and then pick up webs careful not to let the webs bend and touch itself (they won't crack but will stick to itself!!) and drape on cake. As you work, your mixture WILL thicken, when it is too hard to pipe just take the tip off your bag and microwave on a plate for 5 seconds, replace tip and run tip under hot water while squeezing bag slightly until it flows easily again. When mixture in bowl thickens, just microwave for 20 seconds at a time until warm and smooth again. I hope this works for you as well as it did for me!! Just rember, you have to work with this stuff warm!! You can refrigerate mixture and just warm and wisk up again for more use.
grasshoppermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grasshoppermom Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 3:12pm
post #19 of 24

AI recently found several shops on Etsy that sell sugarveil mats, most of them are under $10. The shops are all based out of China, and I imagine that they are not the Sugarveil brand, the shops specialize in molds for all kinds of things. I have yet to purchase, but just thought I'd put it out there. All you have to do is search "embossing mat" and scroll through the results and you'll see the mats. Most of them ate called 'delicate flower' something or other. Good luck! :)

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galidink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galidink Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 5:44pm
post #22 of 24

AI found it also on ebay , check them out , awesome and free shipping $3.50 and up ,

AZCouture Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 6:19pm
post #23 of 24

AKind of what I'm thinking

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 5 Sep 2013 , 5:16am
post #24 of 24

Hello Bakingshell,

To make lace without using the SugarVeil Confectioners' Mats, just place the bride's lace on a copier, print out the design, then place it under a sheet of greased parchment paper and trace/pipe over the lines with a parchment cone filled with SugarVeil Icing. You can also pipe out a monogram the same way, and when it is partially set, submerge the piping tip into the monogram and build it up to a nice dimensional shape (that has soft, sculpted edges). 

For other lace designs, you can download and print the lace designs from cakes pictured on this page http://www.sugarveil.com/icing_dispenser/design_patterns.htm, place under greased parchment paper, and trace/pipe with a piping bag or a parchment cone filled with SugarVeil icing. When SugarVeil "sets", you can peel it from the parchment and, because it is flexible, you can wrap the lace around a cake after peeling, or make it days ahead of time and store it between sheets of parchment in a zipped bag until you are ready to place it onto the cake. Go to http://www.facebook.com/sugarveilicing to see lots of cake photos with lace, or you can go here and see instructional SugarVeil videos: http://www.youtube.com/sugarveil. Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%