Sword Through Cake

Decorating By LindieLu Updated 29 Apr 2010 , 8:21pm by janeoxo

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 19

I will doing a cake similar to this one: http://media.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/70359/normal_DSC01004.JPG

and I was wondering if I could get some ideas on how to do the sword. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

18 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 19

VERY cool cake. In this photo it looks to me like it's a sword from the dollar store, probably lighweight plastic. And it looks like the sword is at the back of the cake, not actually through it. If you want to make it, maybe try pastillage or gumpaste, and make it well in advance so you know if it words for you. Especially since the weight can be an issue in attaching it.

charlene008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlene008 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 19

I don't think the sword is actually through the cake but rather just on both ends. If you look closly, there would be a curve in the center of the sword. For weigh purposes and so that it doesn't tear the cake down you might want to try attahing it on both sides.

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 19

Cute cake! It looks like it was made with gum paste, modeled into two separate pieces. My guess is that what you don't see is the length of the piece that's sticking into the cake. So if the sword piece on a table is say 12" long, then 3" of that is now inside the cake... I'd wait to add the sword to the cake until delivery... and use gum paste strengthened with skewers or something equally as stiff so that the moisture of the cake doesn't weaken your pieces. Can you PM the original decorator for assistance?

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 19

To me it looks as though it is made of gumpaste but it is not actually through the cake. It looks like it could be 2 separate pieces stuck on, but without being able to see the cake from the back and sides it's hard to tell.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 19

I would make it out of grey gumpaste, make sure you have plenty of time to dry it, and insert it into the sides of the cake. For added strength you could insert dowels in the gumpaste and let them dry in there to use to stick into the cake further.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeoxo

To me it looks as though it is made of gumpaste but it is not actually through the cake. It looks like it could be 2 separate pieces stuck on, but without being able to see the cake from the back and sides it's hard to tell.

I was thinking the same thing!

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 19

I just noticed the link, this cake is posted on CC? Maybe write the original designer and ask them for guidance?

LindieLu Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I just noticed the link, this cake is posted on CC? Maybe write the original designer and ask them for guidance?

Yes, a friend sent me the link, but being fairly new, I'm not quite sure how to find who made the cake. I tried to search "pirate" in the gallery, but after looking at 74 pages (all the pages that came up!), I couldn't locate it. Is there a more efficient way to find who posted the picture??

I was initially thinking 50/50 gumpaste and mmf... but thought that it might be too heavy..... I like the idea of the dowels to stick further in the cake... I may have to try it and see what happens.

Thanks ladies and if you have further suggestions, please feel free to chime in!!

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 19

I found her for you. She uses the name Melony. The link to her page is: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&u=60359

(I just lucked out and right away found a similar cake and that person gave credit for the inspiration to Melony, looked her up, and there was her cake)

jadedlogic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadedlogic Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 19

I read through her comments and she said the sword is made out of 2 separate pieces held in the cake with lollipop sticks attached to the back of the sword with melted choc. icon_smile.gif

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #12 of 19

such a cute cake!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedlogic

I read through her comments and she said the sword is made out of 2 separate pieces held in the cake with lollipop sticks attached to the back of the sword with melted choc. icon_smile.gif

If you prefer to have the cake viewable from all sides (as I do), you could also make the sword with skewers IN the gumpaste sword, and slide those into the cake, versus "gluing" sticks to the back of the sword.

LindieLu Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:20pm
post #14 of 19

thanks so much ladies!!!! You are amazing! I can't believe the quick response I got! I will probably do a practice 6 inch cake with the sword to see if there are any pitfalls .. the last thing I need is a disaster at the last minute. thanks again!!

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 19

Don't forget to come back and show us your finished cake. Good Luck

LindieLu Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:56am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Don't forget to come back and show us your finished cake. Good Luck

I will! (It's not for another month though) icon_wink.gif

LindieLu Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:41pm
post #17 of 19

I made the cake last weekend and had such a blast with it! The sword is made out of gumpaste (hubby actually made it) and lollipop sticks were glued to the back of it with chocolate. Thanks for all of your ideas! Here it is! (i'm not sure how to attach photos, so here is the link).

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1653887.html

cownsj Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:05pm
post #18 of 19

Your cake came out fantastic. Thank you so much for posting it for us to see. You did a really great job on it, and the sword is perfect.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:21pm
post #19 of 19

Brilliant work, well done you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%