??????? Can Someone Help Me With Pricing?

Decorating By apromisekept Updated 2 Sep 2005 , 5:16am by Jackie

apromisekept Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apromisekept Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:29am
post #1 of 7

I am in the process of doing a price list and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much to charge for a 4 in., 5, 6 and 7 in. round cake? I guess 2 layer cakes. I am tired of being cheated out of what I think they are worth. Now with one lady my husband works with, I just say the price and she gives it to me, she loves my cakes. I know I am too easy w/ alot of people and I don't want to lose business ,because my prices are too high. And I thought if I do a price list this would stop me from being underpaid. I have even wanted to stop doing cakes because of folks not wanting to give me a fair price, but I love it and someday I want to make a career out of it. Or if someone could give me a price list. Sorry this is so long. Thanks

6 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:39am
post #2 of 7

First of all, don't start by the size of the cake, start by how many servings it is supposed to yield. I think the majority charge $2 to $2.25 per serving for simple butter cream, up to $3.00 for fondant.

I know some of the ladies will have the right answers for you!

Debbi

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:45am
post #3 of 7

Well, I am not much help on this, because I only use 5. 6 or 8 when I am making a stacked cake, not on their own. Mainly because, for me, it is not worth the time nor the cost of the hydro or the clean-up and boarding and such, to make cakes of these sizes. If I were to make them, the price would be darn close to a regular sized cake.
Don't mean that to sound snobby, but it is just as much work to do these smaller cakes as a regular 8, 9 or 10 inch cake and up. I think a lot of folks want them, to get a cake for a low price. I understand sometimes they just don't want a lot of cake, more of an individual one, but for the amount of time these take, they just are not worth my time.
So I think you need to take that into consideration when pricing them. I rarely do a cake for under $40 because of the time and labour factor.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 7

Have you looked at the pricing matrix located on this site? It might help.

apromisekept Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apromisekept Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 11:34am
post #5 of 7

Thanks, Yes , I downloaded the price matrix. Thanks, teddybearmom

Stogz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stogz Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 7

Where do I find the price matrix. I sent a cake with my dad to work and I have several people asking how much I charge. This is a first for me so I have no idea.....Thanks!

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 5:16am
post #7 of 7

you can download the pricing matrix here
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-5711-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%