Best Mixer For The Busy Home Bakery?

Decorating By CutieMcCakes Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 2:28pm by Kitagrl

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:43pm
post #1 of 19

Hello! I am looking into upgrading my 4.5qt KA mixer and I am not sure what to get. I am constantly using my stand mixer now, so I need something that is very durable (for anything from cakes to breads) and amazing, but won't break the bank.

What do you guys have that you can't live without?

18 replies
merry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
merry Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 19

I use a 5 qt. KA Professional Mixer since 1994...it's a been a wonderful work horse; cakes, fondant, gum paste, bread, etc. KA also makes a 6 qt. mixer. Costco has very good prices on these mixers.

HTH icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 19

I have a Sunbeam Mixmaster and it serves me just fine. Some say that they can't use theirs for fondant but I use mine to make fondant 3 -5 times a week and have never had a problem. I also make a double batch of Indydebi's buttercream at a time and it comes out perfect with no air bubbles. I paid about $110.00 for mine at Wal-Mart over a year ago.

You ask for one that wouldn't "break the bank" so that's why I suggested the Sunbeam. Of course I would prefer the 6qt KA but can't afford one at the moment icon_cry.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 19

icon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gif Nevermind my last post. I just re-read your post and noticed you want something much different than what the sunbeam can offer. icon_redface.gificon_razz.gif I just saw "won't break the bank" and jumped on it icon_lol.gif I'm an idiot so excuse my first post. icon_rolleyes.gif

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 19

I have a 5 qt kitchenaid Pro. I LOVE that thing!! Its very durable - 6 years now with out a single break.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 19

I have a 6qt Kitchenaid Pro, and I absolutely love it! I got it from craigslist for $160. Used, but still in great condition, and I didn't have to pay nearly what I would have paid brand new!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 19

Define "wont break the bank". Durable is usually expensive.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 19

I'd suggest a smaller Hobart. That will last as long as you will.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 19

A friend owns a restaurant that does a few custom cakes and a large assortment of other baking every week. They have found that the expected life of a standard kitchen aid was about the same as the larger pro series and they preferred to purchase 2 standard machines rather than 1 of the larger models. I would be glad to hear other feed back about the kitchen aid pro machines, I'm afraid mine is starting to wear out.

tootsie927 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootsie927 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 19

I just purchased a KA Pro 600 on Saturday good deal at Kohl's which is where I purchased my 4 quart KA a few years ago and it's still working well, I just wanted a larger bowl. I will use it for the first time late today. I looks pretty though I have the silver one. I can't wait to use it.

CutieMcCakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 19

To define "break the bank"... I know some of the hobarts are really good, but big and expensive. I have been looking at the 6qt KA Pro line and 600 series, which I have heard are good, but can be quite noisy, and there were issues with getting metal gears versus plastic. I am prepared to spend a couple hundred$, but not prepared to spend a couple thousand$ (like for a Hobart).

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:51pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I'd suggest a smaller Hobart. That will last as long as you will.

Oooh, I didn't know hobart made smaller mixers. What sizes do they come in (if you know)? icon_smile.gif

CutieMcCakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 19

Confections... they come in various sizes, the smaller countertop ones that I know of are 5qt, 12qt and 20 qt. hth! thumbs_up.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:21am
post #14 of 19

Some of the Hobart stand mixers are made to use multiple sized bowls. One of these is on my list of "musts" for if I ever open up my own shop.

lea74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lea74 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #15 of 19

My Kitchen Aid broke down yesterday icon_cry.gif (bearings) there is no warranty so I have to pay $130 for new parts...I'm looking into purchasing used Hobart. I can't wait to have something more reliable.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #16 of 19

i purchased a new 10qt american eagle (the size of a hobart) mixer. Very nice and cheaper than the hobart.
I think I paid $1200. So, I guess it depends on what "break the bank" means to you. To me, it was well worth it.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:38pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieMcCakes

Confections... they come in various sizes, the smaller countertop ones that I know of are 5qt, 12qt and 20 qt. hth! thumbs_up.gif

Ooh, I had no idea. I have a 5qt. kitchen aid right now but would like something a little bigger. I have been considering the 6qt professional but I'll have to look into the hobart too. Thanks!

CutieMcCakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #18 of 19

Hobarts are good. i have used them in every bakery and kitchen i have worked in. I just wish they were more "home- baker" friendly. Save a penny every day.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 2:28pm
post #19 of 19

I have two 6 qt KA's.... unfortunately one of them is at the shop (and has been for two weeks now) and I HAVE TO HAVE THAT THING BACK! Grrr.

They told me KA is slow to send them the parts they need. Whatever.

I strongly suggest two mixers, or at the least have two bowls for one mixer. I have two mixers and three bowls.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%