Sound Like A Scam...

Business By Destinys_Delights Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 11:59pm by erinalicia

Destinys_Delights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Destinys_Delights Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 19

Hi, I just got this email tonight, sounds kinda like a scam to me, what do you think?

My name is Bill *****(I took out name) i will like you to bake me a chocolate or a strawberry cake of 5 tier that can serve approximately 250 guest or more. I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant or butter cream and let there be an inscription be writing on one of the cake as (Bill wed Sharon) and i want you to pack them in different boxes after ready for pick up. And I want you to have the cake ready for pick-up on 19th of April 2010, 11 o clock A.M. So let me know if you can fill in the date, once i have your reply i will forward all the details and the picture sample of the cake i will like you to bake for me. I await your reply soon.

Thanks and God bless.

Bill.

18 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 19

Oldest cake "Nigerian" scam out there. Break off all communication.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:11am
post #3 of 19

Ironically, I literally JUST opened my email and had this same message. ...

My name is Bill Socttish i will like you to bake me a chocolate or a strawberry cake of 5 tier that can serve approximately 250 guest or more.

I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant or butter cream and let there be an inscription be writing on one of the cake as (Bill wed Sharon) and i want you to pack them in different boxes after ready for pick up. And I want you to have the cake ready for pick-up on 19th of April 2010, 11 o clock A.M. So let me know if you can fill in the date, once i have your reply i will forward all the details and the picture sample of the cake i will like you to bake for me. I await your reply soon.

Thanks and God bless.

Bill.

[email protected]

Perhaps next time I will SPAM him!

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:17am
post #4 of 19

If this has been around for a while, why doesn't someone set up a sting with the FBI? I would love to see these crooks get caught.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:17am
post #5 of 19

If this has been around for a while, why doesn't someone set up a sting with the FBI? I would love to see these crooks get caught.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:28am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by addietx

Because the scammers are generally in other countries where we can't touch them.

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #7 of 19

What are they actually after with these email scams? Do they ask for banking info in order to "forward a payment"?

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:37am
post #8 of 19

It's a scam, that very same email has been going around. In the States you can go to FBI.gov and they have a spot where you can report email scams.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:43am
post #9 of 19

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I just received this one this morning.

My DH said I should respond and tell him: "how about an inscription that says, GO POUND SAND!!"

I said what some others here have said, cut the communication,
but something in me wants to tell him to go fry his **$

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:49am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnmouse

What are they actually after with these email scams? Do they ask for banking info in order to "forward a payment"?

The way that it works is that they pay you too much money and ask you to send them the extra money, or use the extra to pay shippers that they've chosen. Either way, you send the money and then whatever they paid you with turns out to be fraudulent.

You know, if these guys ever figure out that we don't write messages on our wedding cakes around here, it will make the scams harder to pick out.

Reneesg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reneesg Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 19

So if they pay you too much money, can that be interpreted as a gratuity for a job well done?

These people are something else! They think we are so stupid!!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:11pm
post #12 of 19

They don't really pay you too much, they don't pay you anything at all. But they give you a bad check or a credit card number that ends up being charged back and then you are out the money that you forwarded for them.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:38pm
post #13 of 19

It's sad but I get calls through the Relay service (hearing impared) all the time at work. Every single one of them has been a scam looking to send me money by credit card for our services and asking to forward money to another person. I went so far as to get the credit card info one time and called the bank it was issued on to report it stolen. Took me about an hour but I was determined!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:51pm
post #14 of 19

Just got the same one in my email.

Anyone else notice that it seems like the last name is spelled wrong? Now, I realize that there are a million variations of last names, but SOCTTISH? I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be SCOTTISH! icon_eek.gif

tracyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyacakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:14pm
post #15 of 19

I just got the email too, but from [email protected] thing exactly! I didn't know at first, so I did my normal routine, I needed to contact a florist for some flowers for the cake...well she red flagged it for me! Then KI started asking around and one of my friend's friend actually fell for it...she made a cake for 300!! and then the check bounced!!! She was lucky that she had a retail bakery and took the cake apart and sold it in pieces over a busy holiday weekend!!! CRAZY!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #16 of 19

I get that all the time. I email them back with this message: "Suck it, scammer."

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:15pm
post #17 of 19

If you ever get anything from anyone that says " I will like for you to...." and the email is filled a horrible butchered variation of the English language, just send it to your spam folder.

I know that there are a lot of people out there (in the US) where English is not their first language, but you can usually pick them out, and even then it's not as bad as these scam emails.

There are so many red flags that it just baffles me that there are people who fall for these scams.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:52pm
post #18 of 19

You all would be surprised at the people that fall for this. It is very sad. My DH deals with it quite a bit, and he would LOVE to get his hands on one of them. He had a situation where the guy from Jamaica actually got the elderly ladies phone number (she GAVE it to him) and was getting her to repeatedly send him money. icon_cry.gif She could not understand how someone would be so cruel as to do this......it was the one where you won a ton of money, but you had to send money to get it first. Just really sad. icon_sad.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:59pm
post #19 of 19

I'm one of those people that believes if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. Unfortunately the elderly are the ones who typically fall for these scams. If I've legitimately WON something, then I shouldn't have to pay anything for it, period.

We occasionally get those phone calls where they tell us we've won a vacation... yeah right. I usually come back and ask them immediately how much it costs.

It's sad that there are so many thing like this out there and so many dishonest, immoral people in the world.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%