Chocolate Circles??

Sugar Work By tavyheather Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 4:00am by JanH

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 11

This is getting hardly any views in Candy Making...hoping someone has tried this here............

My friend wants chocolate circles as a topper for cupcakes, with the initial "R" and dots around it on the edge of the chocolate circle

My two Q's:

How do I achieve perfect circles? I should temper (white) choc then pour into circle molds, right? thinking of using the GlobalSugarArt.com hard candy sucker mold..or should I try the peppermint patty molds?

Don't think I can pipe the initial perfectly on top of the circle after it's out..so should I invert the R and pipe the traced image INTO the mold, along with the dots, then pour the remainder in top? (The R and dots will be green, the background, white)

Thanks for your help! I have NEVER attempted candy before!!

10 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 11

You can use cookie cutters as a mold too.

tavyheather Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You can use cookie cutters as a mold too.

This is something I really should know by now...but where would I buy multiple circle cookie cutters? Are u suggesting it if I have them around? b/c wouldn't I have to buy more than one or I'd be waiting around for each one to dry..right?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 11

You can pour the chocolate (candy melts work great) onto wax paper in a nice air conditioned room, and spread evenly. Let it sit until its firm...but of course not hard as a rock. Then you can easily cut the chocolate into disks with a round cutter and carefully place them onto a tray with wax paper and then decorate them as you need.

That's how they do the fancy desserts layered with chocolate discs, etc...

Unless you need a more decorative kind like a mold would make.

tavyheather Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

You can pour the chocolate (candy melts work great) onto wax paper in a nice air conditioned room, and spread evenly. Let it sit until its firm...but of course not hard as a rock. Then you can easily cut the chocolate into disks with a round cutter and carefully place them onto a tray with wax paper and then decorate them as you need.

That's how they do the fancy desserts layered with chocolate discs, etc...

Unless you need a more decorative kind like a mold would make.

awesome, thanks!!

but what do you mean "unless I need a more decorative kind"...All I want is something w/ clean edges...a cutter would do that, right?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #6 of 11

I think by "more decorative" she means if you want something more than just a flat disc of chocolate. They have molds that will put floral designs, etc. into the chocolate!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I think by "more decorative" she means if you want something more than just a flat disc of chocolate. They have molds that will put floral designs, etc. into the chocolate!

Yep what she said. icon_smile.gif I happened to think after I typed my instructions out that maybe you wanted that "rounded candy disc" type look, with swirls or something on it, rather than a flat cut out circle.

tavyheather Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

Yep what she said. icon_smile.gif I happened to think after I typed my instructions out that maybe you wanted that "rounded candy disc" type look, with swirls or something on it, rather than a flat cut out circle.

ahh..think I got it icon_smile.gif Think she just wants a flat circle...now the only problem I can think of with that is I write the initials then pour over it..and when I cut the circle out with the cutter I wont know where to cute to make it centered...ughhh this is getting complicated!!! icon_wink.gif

tavyheather Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:22pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

I had a feeling thats what she meant...so I searched (more specifically this time) and randomly found a site with all Jewish symbol chocolate molds...I had NO idea there was soo much out there!!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 11

There are TONS of chocolate molds out there. I would bet there is one out there with a circle with a letter R in the middle! icon_smile.gif

Another thought: I did initial H truffles a while back. I traced the H's on wax paper (printed out the font I wanted on the computer) and then carefully 'glued' them to the top of the truffles with a dot of melted chocolate. You could do something similar and they would all look alike. (pic in my photos, with the pink H cake)

As for the circles, you could make modeling chocolate and use a cookie cutter to make your circles. Would also give you a flat surface to glue the letter to, and it IS chocolate, so tastes like chocolate, but works like fondant. icon_smile.gif
HTH!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:00am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%