Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By newbaker55 Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm by GI

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 10:10am
post #1 of 12

I've been searching for hi ratio shortening since reading here on CC about the vast difference in the final icing product. I searched under brand and found that, for a hobby baker like me, the price at some other sites was out of my comfort zone. icon_surprised.gif
Googled 'hi ratio shortening' and found this:

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/product.cfm/p/45408/Alpine-Icing-Shortening.htm

Has anyone ordered from this site?
I haven't checked the shipping costs, but $54.85 for 50 lbs. sounds good to me! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 12

I personally like Sweetex for cakes. Does this price include shipping? Shipping is expensive. This is a good price, if this includes shipping. When you get the shortening, just whack off big blocks of it and wrap it up in freezer paper, label, date, and put in the freezer. Then when you need some, just pull a block out and keep it in the fridge.

I leave my Sweetex that I need at the moment in the fridge till its right before icing-making time. Then its best at room temp. Also, if you want a better icing flavor, try Swiss Meringue buttercream. I find that most grownups prefer that icing over traditional powdered-sugar icing. (Kids like the traditional powdered-sugar icing, however.) (I've mixed 1/2-n-1/2).

There's just something about eating shortening vs real butter that just gets to me. I now this is more than you wanted, but sometimes I'm just a chatty-kathy! icon_lol.gif

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 12

i HAVE FOUND THAT using half butter and half hi ratio gives you a smoother better tasting frosting.

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 12

I happened to be at our local Bulk Barn (bulk food store for public) and was walking around and shocked to see it there! No one else in our city (east coast of Canada) carries it! I was tempted to get some but didn't need any yet so decided to hold off but I know where to go now! Can't wait to try it!

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 12

Despite all the comments I hear about Hi-ratio shortening, I haven't been able to justify the cost (I only do cakes as a hobby), so I have been using Crisco even though it is trans fat free. I have been getting good results with my icing.

I am very happy with my results and will continue to use it as it is much easier to find locally.

I know this doesn't answer your question but just wanted to let you know my experience with what I can get locally.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 12

That is a good price, I usually order from The Baker's Kitchen; and it's twice as much (not including shipping).

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredNavyChief

i HAVE FOUND THAT using half butter and half hi ratio gives you a smoother better tasting frosting.

This is exactly what I have found! I am using a variation of sugarshack's recipe but use 3 cups hi ratio and 2 cups butter, 5lbs powdered sugar, and 3/4 cup hot heavy whipping cream. Its perfect! Its much creamier and smoother than when I was using crisco.

Oh yeah, I have never ordered hi ratio in bulk. I only bought 5 lbs from a local lady to give it a try. I'm scared that I don't have room for 50lbs! She didn't have sweetex but had something called ps99 and I liked it just fine (although I have no comparison!).

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 12

on that site it would cost me subtotal: $54.85
sales tax (va customers only): $0.00

calculate shipping charges:
** shipping: $29.89
total: $84.74
icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 12

That is a really good price, and Alpine is the second in line that Sharon(sugarshack) recommends, I bought my 50 lb, case of sweetex through a Culinary program that I attended last year and paid $65.00 and that is because, the chef ordered it for me, with the school's supplies, (food Order)the regular price online is like $125.00 to $150.00 and I store mine in the box at room temp and nothing is wrong with it, it is still fine, and I had it since last may, it says to store at 65 to 85 degrees.

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 12

thanks for the recipe confectionsofahousewife! I'm going to give that a try - assuming i can find this thread again when the times comes! That is always my problem!!!! can't find things icon_wink.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 12

You can click watched topics and see all your posts icon_biggrin.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #12 of 12

(Muga-a-bug, I love your cake photo in your avatar. Gorgeous!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%