Ri Melting??

Decorating By heatherk Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 6:24pm by heatherk

heatherk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherk Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:29am
post #1 of 7

I was wondering if I put RI flowers on a BC cake if they will really melt. I have been told both that they will and that they won't. I have 2 cakes due the same day and would normally just do BC flowers the night before but with the deadlines and nature of the cake, that won't really work. I was gonna start doing RI flowers in my spare time and then just put them on right before delivery. So any input is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

6 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:38am
post #2 of 7

Royal icing flowers do work on buttercream cakes. They don't actually melt but if left for 2 or 3 days they will soften. If you decorate a cake with them and then freeze they will definately soften from condensation from thawing/warming. They are fine when placed on room temp buttercream as long as the RI decorations are completely dry before being used.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 7

Royal is fine if you let it dry and put them on your cake after the buttercream has crusted a little. You see it commonly on wal mart/ safeway cakes. They buy theirs in bulk and place them on when they are boxed for sale. icon_smile.gif

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:41am
post #4 of 7

I have never had a problem with RI and buttercream...

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:43am
post #5 of 7

same here, i have never had a problem with r/i and b/c. my r/i (anything )is always completely dry before i ues it on the cake.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 7

Royal ising will not melt the instant it hits buttercream. I have actually piped royal on a crisco covered cake and the icing dried hard and worked just fine.

Once the icing is made, you have to worry less about the grease factor. It just won't mix up properly if you introduce grease in in the making. Same thing with Meringue made with egg whites.

The moisture in my opinion is more of a concearn. You don't want to put dried royal icing pieces in the fridge since condensation may form and that would melt the icing. I'd also avoid cake carries that lock air/moisture in too, for the most part.

heatherk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heatherk Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 7

Thank You All! I am much less worried now. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%