Freezing???

Decorating By nielsen4897 Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 11:43pm by nicoles0419

nielsen4897 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nielsen4897 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 4

Can you freeze icings? What types freeze well and don't (i.e. royal, buttercream, gumpaste, fondant)?

Also - can you frost a cake and freeze it?

Let's say I wanted to crumb coat cakes or frost and freeze - then thaw them when ready to fully decorate - can you do this?

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 4

sure to the third question. However, I just freeze the cake and then pull it out and fill and frost,

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 4

Hi there,

If you use Indydebi's BC, no need to freeze. But i have frozen that and other BC. Do not freeze RI and gumpaste. Nor does MMF freeze well on it's own.
However, I freeze cakes all the time that are covered in BC, or BC and fondant. You just have to ensure they are wrapped well . I use Glad seal and wrap- it's great! I have even used WASC, covered in BC and frozen without seal (just in my cake container) and it was fine...
When you cover a cake in fondant and freeze it, let it come to room temp (at least an hour) with the wrapping on, then remove the wrapping so the condensation will adhere to the wrapping. Then let it air dry until it's no longer tacky to the touch.
I also freeze cakes then fill then. You have to let it settle a bit (an hour at least) however, then crumb coat and cover in fondant. HTH! icon_smile.gif

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 4

I freeze buttercream all the time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%