Cake Boards Between Tiers

Decorating By cece05 Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm by cece05

cece05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cece05 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 6

Do you cover the boards between the tiers? I use regular cardboard boards from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I am very new to cake decorating and learning mostly from the internet and books. I thought I should cover them with contact paper but then I read somewhere that it isn't food safe. If you do cover them, what do you use?

Thanks.

5 replies
monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 6

You don't need to cover the cardboard cake board. I usually put a little buttercream on the cardboard before I put the cake on it to help it stick.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:48pm
post #3 of 6

my favorite boards are the ones that have a shiny finish and some that are referred to as waxed. these are grease resistant and do not need to be covered between the tiers. just make sure that you use support dowels or plastic dowels for support,if not, the bottoms of the boards may soak in the moisture from the underside and get flimsy without the supports and cause the cake to settle or lean. hope this helps, ooh yeah to keep the board from pulling the frosting of the nextt teir, i cut a circle of waxed paper a couple on inches smaller that the tier about to be placed. this leaves some contact to make the board stick, and makes it easier for me to center the tier as well, one final security measure, a dowel through the center all the way to the base. i always tell new customers to expect to find the paper and dowels when they begin cutting.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 6

No, I don't cover mine.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 6

Nope. No need to cover.

cece05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cece05 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all very much.