Question About Flower Nail Method

Decorating By DesignerWoman Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 4:29am by miasuzzette

DesignerWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerWoman Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:56am
post #1 of 27

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the flower nail method. I have used the flower nail method for a few cakes now and I have noticed a discoloring of the nail. It almost looks like rust, but I can rub it off a little if I rub very hard.

My question is, is this normal? Should I be worried if this is doing anything harmful to the cake?

(Below is a picture of my flower nail)
LL

26 replies
The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 27

Im glad you're asking, because I gave up this method because of that. I didn't want anything gross getting in the cake. I've been thinking about using the heating core

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:10am
post #3 of 27

I don't know about the nail specifically, but the same thing happens to my regular aluminum baking sheets. I get these translucent orange/brown spots that bake on and nearly impossible to remove without a Brillo pad.

NottawaChelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NottawaChelle Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:14am
post #4 of 27

Are you coating the nail generously with shortening and then flour? I've used this method for years and my flower nails look almost new.

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:14am
post #5 of 27

My flower nails do this as well. I just wash them really well by hand to get any cake debris off them. I think this is a normal reaction of the metal finish and I wouldn't worry about it.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 27

When you use the flower nail you really need to wash it well and I take a toothpick to go around the area where the nail attaches to the top. Yes, this is a real nail and it will rust, however, if you be sure to clean it well and dry it well you will not get the marks you have shown. I have use the nail for many years and cleaning it thoroughly is very important. thumbs_up.gif Get another one and try this and see how it works, way better than a heating core.
evelyn

DesignerWoman Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:47am
post #7 of 27

I usually coat the nail with PAM (the kind for baking), and I wash and dry the nail thoroughly. I even tried just soaking it in soapy water for a bit, before trying to clean the spots off.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:48am
post #8 of 27

Yeah, I smothered mine in bakers joy before baking, and then cleaned it well after each use, and I still get this.....but it looks this way after baking. So its not like I don't dry it and then, its after I've baked.....Sooooooooo I don't know. What brand of nail are you using (the ones that aren't having the "rusting" issue)

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #9 of 27

It might be a build up of baking spray. My cookie sheets get it. I have to scrub them with a non-scratch pad and even then, after a few years, it still builds up.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #10 of 27

Dawn power dissolver or Kaboom cleaner will get that stuff off your nail and/or your baking sheets. Coat and let sit for a bit then scrub.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #11 of 27

Are you using a Wilton nail?

Im wondering if it could be the brand of flower nail. I have a Wilton and an off brand that I got from my local cake supply store. The off brand nail is doing that, but my Wilton still looks new.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:53am
post #12 of 27

I don't know about the OP but I've only used Wilton nails....

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #13 of 27

I put parchment paper in the bottom of the pan and stick the nail up through the paper before I pour in the batter. The head of the nail never touches the batter, just the shaft. (Oh my, that almost sounds "dirty"!)

DesignerWoman Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:02am
post #14 of 27

I have only used the Wilton flower nails. So far I have used two Wilton flower nails and both have this issue.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #15 of 27

I was told this happens if you put them in the dishwasher. If you hand wash after use, it shouldn't rust.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:44am
post #16 of 27

My Wilton flower nails did this after I put them in the dishwasher long before I started using them for baking cakes. So I am guessing it is the dishwasher.

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:50am
post #17 of 27

When I worked in a grocery store bakery we were told to toss any tip that looked like that.I use an Ateco brand flower nail that belonged to my grandma and it has never discolored or rusted.

beccachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccachris Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #18 of 27

I use the Wilton nails, hand wash, air dry and all of mine look like your pic as well. And they look like that after the 1st use. I would love to know what causes it, as I'm ready to switch to the heating core because the nails are starting to worry me.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:14am
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I put parchment paper in the bottom of the pan and stick the nail up through the paper before I pour in the batter. The head of the nail never touches the batter, just the shaft. (Oh my, that almost sounds "dirty"!)

Ditto

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:51am
post #20 of 27

I also use a wilton flower nail. i hand wash and dry them all straight away but i still start to get these marks even after the first use! i also cover it with wilton cake release really well before baking. its driving me mad!

DesignerWoman Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:09am
post #21 of 27

Well I'm glad that I am not the only one having this problem.

I think I will try to poke the nail through the paper to see if that helps icon_smile.gif

Goddess01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goddess01 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:21am
post #22 of 27

DesignerWoman
Please post back with your finding regarding this as I have almost started buying a new one with each cake because most of mine do this and it worries me.
I as well only use wilton and cover it throughly in baker's joy.
I can't figure it out and it's driving me a bit batty.
Thanks

kensoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kensoven Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #23 of 27

I just used this technique of the flower nail this weekend, I was scared since the batter around the nail tasted a bit like metal or something...

I don't think I will continue using this technique icon_sad.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:20pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensoven

I just used this technique of the flower nail this weekend, I was scared since the batter around the nail tasted a bit like metal or something...

I don't think I will continue using this technique icon_sad.gif

Hmmm...I never had that problem. I always use this method even for smaller cakes. I tend to make more batter than I need so I usually make a mini cake for the house. I've never experienced a metallic taste.

Sorry you had that experience.

kensoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kensoven Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:03am
post #25 of 27

Thanks Lita829

Thinking twice it might have been the quality of my nails... thumbsdown.gif
Need to look for another brand!

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #26 of 27

It looks like grease buildup. Soaking it in vinegar should help take it off easily without risk of chemical residue.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:29am
post #27 of 27

icon_biggrin.gif Hi, To all I had the same happing to me and after reading I went and wrote to Wilton Company, Had a Young lady respond the next day and I will be having them 3 replace. So, Here I share the web site for you to write to them. Thanks for your post. It gave me strength to write and complain... [email protected] thumbs_up.gif

Thank you for your information thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%