Modeling Chocolate Or Chocolate Plastique As Fondant?

Decorating By chillilannie Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 3:32am by BlakesCakes

chillilannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chillilannie Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 10

Is it OK to use chocolate plastique or modeling chocolate in the same way as fondant to cover a cake? I love the look of fondant but the taste leaves something to be desired...it's nasty. I have heard so many people say the taste of modeling chocolate is so much better, but is it as sturdy as fondant to do a three tier wedding cake?

9 replies
tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 10

I'd love to know this as well!

I used Wilton fondant and thought it was nasty, as well...would preface ppl eating my cake with "make sure you peel off the fondant!!"

Then it was suggested I try to make my own...I used Michele's updated recipe, so easy and YUMM...wow, it tasted like a completely different thing altogether...

So I have no idea but I am passing along the suggestion that you try her recipe...completely changed my opinion about fondant!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 10

Not all fondant tastes bad. I really love the taste of chocolate fondant.

I personally don't prefer modelling choc mainly because they stay a bit hard.

mrsorchdork Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsorchdork Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 10

Try using Rhonda's marshmallow fondant (search for Rhonda's MMF in the recipe section) to make your own fondant that tastes so much better than the Wilton fondant.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Not all fondant tastes bad. I really love the taste of chocolate fondant.

I personally don't prefer modelling choc mainly because they stay a bit hard.

What brand of chocolate fondant? I use Satin Ice because its economical and looks nice but I think it tastes horrid (and I'm a chocolate lover!)

I think the vanilla Satin Ice tastes fine.

ChocolateCraftKits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChocolateCraftKits Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 10

on my site I have pictures of cakes covered with modeling chocolate
http://www.chocolatecraftkits.com/modelingkit.php

Personally, I like modeling chocolate because it all stays pliable.

chillilannie Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you everyone for your responces. I really would like to try chocolate modeling clay to cover the cake. I think I will give it a try, not only for the taste difference but also for the ease of working with. I have also been told that it melts in your mouth like chocolate does and you don't need a hammer and chisel to cut it like fondant, LOL.

So, I'll try it this time to see how it works, I will make sure to post the outcome, good or bad : )

Thanks again everyone for all your suggestions, very much appreciated.

chillilannie Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:04am
post #8 of 10

So, what I have been told is totally wrong icon_sad.gif This does not melt in your mouth like choclate and it is not easy to work with. I followed the recipe to a T, and it turned out that there was grease literaly dripping fom it. It would not roll out all it did was crumble. It was super chewy, like a vanilla tootsie roll. So back to plan A, try to find a good tasting store bought fondant. I have heard that the one by Duff Goldman is quite good, rolled butter cream fondant. Has anyone tried this yet, if so please give me you opinion of it. Thank goodness I tried the chocolate clay before I had to do the wedding cake, what a disaster that would have been.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:08am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

I'd love to know this as well!

I used Wilton fondant and thought it was nasty, as well...would preface ppl eating my cake with "make sure you peel off the fondant!!"

Then it was suggested I try to make my own...I used Michele's updated recipe, so easy and YUMM...wow, it tasted like a completely different thing altogether...

So I have no idea but I am passing along the suggestion that you try her recipe...completely changed my opinion about fondant!

Michele's fondant is wonderful. It doesn't cost much to make, it's easy to make and it is a high quality fondant. I rarely use any other. Everyone that taste it loves it too.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:32am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillilannie

I have heard that the one by Duff Goldman is quite good, rolled butter cream fondant. Has anyone tried this yet, if so please give me you opinion of it

Duff's fondant is Satin Ice. It's made by Satin Fine Foods for distribution thru Michael's craft stores and cake supply shops.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%