Ahhhh, My Kitchenaid Is Crapping Out!!

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 10:15am by newbaker55

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 14

And I have a cake due today!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

It won't go past speed one icon_cry.gif It's been making funny noises for a while, but I thought these things were supposed to last forever. icon_sad.gif

I bought it second hand, but brand new. Can I still have it repaired or should I just buy a new one?

13 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 14

well, how old is it?? Call KA and ask about where you can have it fixed, and let them know what its doing.

Do you have someone close to you that has one you can borrow??

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 14

Mine is crapping out too. I have had it for a few years now. I don't know if I just need one that is more heavy duty (I have the 5 qt, artisan I think it's called). Maybe I should get a whole different brand.

When I bought it I baked a lot but had no idea I would be doing cakes for a living. Could be I just pushed it farther than it was built to go.

Hope you can get through the day and buy something that works well for you! icon_smile.gif

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 14

I would try to see if KA will do something for you and then get a new one if they can't.

Mine (4 years old) is dying, too. Before this past year, only only used it 3-4 times a year. When it goes kupoot, hubby said we're not buying another - he'll pay for a different brand, but not another KA.

When I starting really reading reviews, I'm finding several posts where people's KAs are dying after just a couple of years. Not happy with their current quality - lower quality and still high priced thumbsdown.gif

Mug-a-Bug Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 14

Hmmmm. It got a sudden burst of 'healing' and I was able to finish my cake. I thought these were "so great" and would "last forever". So annoying. My MIL found one at a garage sale for me for $75 bucks, so maybe hubby can make a franken-mixer if the 'new' one dies too. So irritating since these things are $300+ new. thumbsdown.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 14

mine was making a funny noise and just seemed to be grinding. my dh took off the back cover and inside was just caked with icing sugar, he cleaned it all out and put it back together and its good as new. he works on motors so this wasn;t a problem for him, but he says everything is fixable.

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 14

I have the same problem with my KA, so aggrivating! It jumps between gears and now only used 3, slow, slower and slowest. I got it 3 years ago from Costco, brand new. I called costco and they said anything over a year old is not returnable....WHAT????

I then called KA and they told me I could ship it to them, at my expense of course, and tehy would look at it, for a fee of $25.00, and THEN let me know how much it would be to fix it...NO THANK YOU! By the time I get done paying for everything I could just buy a new one.

My hubby tried to fix it and went to a couple of websites full of complaints about the professional series, which is what I have, and all had the same problem. I am now waiting for it to completely die and then I will buy an new mixer, but NOT a KA! icon_mad.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 14

THANKS

Mel2085 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel2085 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 14

That is why i bought a Cuisinart!! I was reading the reviews and if i am going to spend hundreds of dollars on something I want it to last!!!!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:14pm
post #11 of 14

I have both brands and I must say, I like the stability of the KitchenAid better. The bowl in the Cuisinart is nice and deep, but MAN is it loud!

jojo76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo76 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 14

is there a local repair shop in your area? My ancient kenwood mixer broke last week, Ive found an excellent repair service that will ship the mixer for a low price and fully service and fix it very reasonably. Im in the uk, but there must be small businesses like this all over, afterall as everyone says, these things are so expensive to buy lots of people must seek to repair rather than shell out for a new one every time they break!!

Lisabellemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabellemarie Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:25am
post #13 of 14

The first time mine stopped working, I took it to the repair shop and spent $110 to get a new gear switch. The second time it stopped working, I asked my brother to fix it - he took the lid off, sprayed it with canned air, and looked at it awhile. That seemed to work. So now, I tend to just take the cover off of mine, and use canned air to spray all around in there. I think it blows all the powdered sugar and flour out of it to make it work again.

Of course, I don't expect this will work forever - but it's gotten me through the last 4 years...

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:15am
post #14 of 14

Anyone have a clue why mine (standard KA) is leaking oil and what to do for a 'homemade' fix? When I pick it up to move it, there's amber-colored machine oil drops on the counter. It's also leaking around the part that holds the beaters. It's been doing this for quite some time. Works fine and doesn't sling the oil all over when in use, but WTH?? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%