Why Do My Cakes Not Change Color???...

Baking By Mikel79 Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm by Christy0722

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:58am
post #1 of 12

Hi all!

I know it is an odd title. However, when I bake my cakes (Yellow WASC recipe) they always stay the same color as the batter when first placed in the oven. NEVER do I ever get that golden brown "crusted" look on the outside of my cakes. I bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes. Cake tester comes out clean. My cakes are always done. I use bake even strips.

Any suggestions why??

Thanks,
=)

11 replies
CTamiLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTamiLynn Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 12

When I used to use the bake even strips, I never got the golden brown color on the sides or the top.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 12

I only get the golden brown edges if I use my Wilton pans and don't use the bake even strips.

Magic Line pans with bake even strips = no golden brown. icon_biggrin.gif

Mikel79 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 12

KathysCC..

I used Magic Line 8 x 2 round pans for the FIRST time last night. Always used Wilton before. Both brands I use bake even strips. Both brands I get the same results. NO golden brown, cake batter yellow.

I was thinking to my self, with the exception of the straight edges on square pans, what is the big deal with Magic Line? They produced the same quality cake as my Wilton pans??

=)
Thanks

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 12

[

I was thinking to my self, with the exception of the straight edges on square pans, what is the big deal with Magic Line?

[/quote]

You answered your own question.The round have more of a squared edge as well.And since the Wilton pans can be stacked inside each other I am guessing they are slightly tapered as well as having a very round edge.JMO

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 12

The strips help keep the pan cool so the edges don't get done before the middle does. I've started taking the strips off for about the last 10 minutes of baking and it seems to help brown the edges a little bit. HTH

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 12

I use the baking strips and line my pans. My cakes always turn out light golden brown on the sides and bottom. Perhaps different recipes produce different results. icon_biggrin.gif

Mikel79 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 12

I appreciate the help folks!!

=)

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 12

Browning is due to the Maillard reaction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction. Baking at a lower temperature + the bake even strips limit/inhibit the reaction, thus no golden brown on the outside of the cake.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

KathysCC..

I used Magic Line 8 x 2 round pans for the FIRST time last night. Always used Wilton before. Both brands I use bake even strips. Both brands I get the same results. NO golden brown, cake batter yellow.

I was thinking to my self, with the exception of the straight edges on square pans, what is the big deal with Magic Line? They produced the same quality cake as my Wilton pans??

=)
Thanks

Well, I do like the straighter sides on the Magic Line pans. They are heavier too and in my opinion, bake a better cake. My cakes seem to be more moist and less overcooked in the Magic line, but that's just my experience.

I'm at a loss as to why you are getting the same results with both pans. They bake so differently for me. Another idea that I had on the browning was that maybe your oven is not hot enough. I know my oven temp is not accurate and I have to turn it 5 to 10 degrees hotter than usual. Are you finding that you have to bake your cakes longer than normal?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 12
Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Browning is due to the Maillard reaction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction. Baking at a lower temperature + the bake even strips limit/inhibit the reaction, thus no golden brown on the outside of the cake.

Never even thought of that! icon_redface.gif Thanks!!! I bake at 325 degrees so that makes perfect sense. Duh!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%