Center Dowel Support - How On Earth Do You Get It In??

Decorating By Miffy Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm by malakainrop

Miffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miffy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:00am
post #1 of 10

Hi,

Just finished assembling my topsy turvey cake using dowel as support (couldn't get bubble straws in time). Since I have to travel with it, I would like to use a center support dowel.

Each layer has a cardboard cake board under the cake. How do you get the dowel through all that?? I am worried that it will warp the cake if I hammer it in.

Thanks everyone at CC..... icon_confused.gif

9 replies
janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:43am
post #2 of 10

I am assuming you only have cake card inbetween not cake board. If it is cake card what I do is sharpen off the end of the dowel slightly then tap it in gently with a steak mallet. When you reach a card give it a harder tap and it should sail through. Repeat for each layer, it works for me without warping the cake

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:45am
post #3 of 10

what she said. Seriously. The sharpened dowel will go thru those cardboards like a hot knife thru cold butter. Sweet simple and easy. First time I did it, I was petrified but it works just like everyone says it does. (I even kept my eyes open the whole time!) icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

janeoxo Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:49am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

(I even kept my eyes open the whole time!) icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

LOL - fantastic

Miffy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you all SO much....yes I did mean cake card! I think I am going crazy!!
Pencil sharpener ready...mallet in hand - I am ready!!

Also. When you hit the bottom, do you try to knock it into the cake board?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 10

Miffy~ I'm still spooked to try that! I give you all credit for taking the plunge with it. I'd be heartsick if the cake crashed.

Miffy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

Miffy~ I'm still spooked to try that! I give you all credit for taking the plunge with it. I'd be heartsick if the cake crashed.

I did it!!! I actually stopped breathing while I was doing it...I have not been that nervous in such a long time. Phew..it wasn't so bad after all icon_biggrin.gif
Now I just have to pray that it holds up in the 50 minute country dirt road drive!!!!!!!!!!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:50pm
post #8 of 10

I'm sure you've already finished, but yes, you drive the dowel all the way through the bottom cake board/drum. That is what holds it together, otherwise the cake can slide around on the drum.

Saying a little prayer for you that your dowels hold. I'm terrified of just using dowels.

janeoxo Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 10

See we told you it would be fine. Post a piccy x

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 10

Miffy - I notice you are in Australia - I used to live there.

Glad it worked for you icon_biggrin.gif

Planet Cake thread their cakes over the top of the dowel that is glued/screwed to the base board - they have already cut a hole in the STD board that is afixed to the bottom of the cake with ganache

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%