Where To Find Dummy Cakes?

Decorating By lilyankee5688 Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm by DreamMaker2

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 23

I'm still very new to this whole cake decorating thing. I've only made a handful of cakes. I really want to practice more, but really don't need to have all the cake in the house. I've heard of dummy cakes or fake cakes before. Where do I find them?! Are they worth buying?! What are they made of?! Any advice y'all can give me I'd really appreciate it icon_smile.gif TIA
-Becky

22 replies
flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 23

www.**********online.com

has the best prices & selection. They're made out of high quality Styrofoam. If you do a search for threads with the words "cake dummy" or "cake dummies" in the title, there are a LOT of posts about how to cover them & use them for practice.

Have fun!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpowerMN

www.**********online.com
has the best prices & selection. They're made out of high quality Styrofoam. If you do a search for threads with the words "cake dummy" or "cake dummies" in the title, there are a LOT of posts about how to cover them & use them for practice.

Have fun!

DITTO!

Just got my package today... HUGE BOX!! 3 sets of 5 tiers each... S&H only 15$ (that's from Dallas, TX to Philly!)
they are really good.... great prices and... they were supposed to arrive 2 days ago...so because they didn't... they are giving me a discount on my next order....

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:21am
post #4 of 23

I too use www.**********.com and they have a large selection of cake dummies for pretty good prices. Also, for carved practice cakes, you can use scraps of styrofoam that may be left over from packages. The carved cakes in my photos are all carved from styrofoam and decorated with fondant. (You'll soon be wanting to hold on to all of the styrofoam scraps you can find! icon_razz.gif )

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:27am
post #5 of 23

And when you get your dummy cakes... they cushion the dummy cakes with pieces of scrap foam that I use for drying leaves and/or anything that has to dry up/straight or wired....

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:38am
post #6 of 23

Yep, thats one of the best places, especially if you want ot buy a bunch. They do take a bit to make them so if your in a hurry there are other sites that sell them like Global Sugar Art. Their still pretty cheap.
I find the best way to cover them is either royal icing, piping gel or crisco. Before you cover them though you want to take a nail file or a sanding block and lightly sand the edges so it doesnt make your fondant rip. Then use your choice of the above and the roll out your fondant and cover. I like to use Wilton because its thicker than most fondant and cheaper (not to mention it tastes nasty so its great for this!) or make your own. Have fun! And when your done playing you can either peel off the fondant, soak it in some hot soapy water and you can reuse it.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:51am
post #7 of 23

has anyone bought the pillow shapped ones? I cant seem to find a price on them..

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 10:39am
post #8 of 23

You can also buy the dummies with already rounded edges so they'll be ready to use for fondant.

lilyankee5688 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:53am
post #9 of 23

so this may sound stupid, but when you are done with can just peel it off and reuse them!? how do they work with BC?! I've got a bday coming up and they are on my list, as my mom is supporting my every move in this whole cake decorating career switch from teaching. icon_smile.gif I'm so excited to get them to practice whenever I want!!!

Thank you all for responding to me! Really helpful! icon_smile.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 11:06am
post #10 of 23

Yes, you can just peel off the fondant decorations, clean it and use it again (I even reuse the fondant for my dummy cakes). If you use buttercream, just clean it in hot water and make sure there's no residue. I bought a set of round cake dummies and have used them over and over again.

lilyankee5688 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 23

awesome! thanks soo much!!!! icon_smile.gif Can't wait to order them and start practicing! icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 23

lilyankee5688. If you are in or near PA, there is a place in York that is cheap. You can call a day ahead and they'll have them ready for you to pick up. It really helps not having to pay the shipping costs!
www.guildcraftfurniture.com/cake-dummies.html

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:00am
post #13 of 23
tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #14 of 23

I get mine from www.taylorfoam.com too

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #15 of 23

I would NOT suggest getting them from www.**********.com . I had a large number of problems with mine, including square blocks that came with round corners, lots of dents and dings.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:39am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

I would NOT suggest getting them from www.**********.com I had a large number of problems with mine, including square blocks that came with round corners, lots of dents and dings.

I've heard from a few friends that www.**********.com is not so great. I have never had any problems from TF. As a matter of fact, I ordered several weeks ago and needed to add to my order after it was placed. I called and they bent over backward to help me. Now I recommend them every chance I get.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:27am
post #17 of 23

TF has super fast shipping too! Compared to some of the places I order their shipping is great as well as the packaging. I LOVE the ballpoint pen they put at the bottom of the box! I'm sort of a pen stealer! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:57am
post #18 of 23

T h e D u m m y Place, CT 860-875-1736 way cheaper on product and shipping. His name is Larry

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 1:37pm
post #19 of 23

E-Bay! Do a search for cake dummies and a great company comes up.

Maynard628 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maynard628 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #20 of 23

Thanks for all the info on the cake dummies. I just ordered from Taylor Foam. Next time I'll check these forums first before I buy certain products 'coz I paid way more for my original round cake dummies!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpowerMN

www.**********online.com

Have fun!

That's where we got ours, off ebay too. The prices were fantastic and especially when you order multiple sets, the shipping price is so cheap for the large boxful we got. Love 'em.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:33am
post #22 of 23

I've been ordering from www.**********.com for years. Never had a problem.always happy.

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #23 of 23

Thanks, leah_s!
I've been searching for cake dummies for a few weeks and just ordered from them. I found many sites, but the prices were a little too high. I don't know know WHY I didn't check for reviews on CC before I ordered (Duh!)
But you just made me feel a whole bunch better! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%