Fustrated

Decorating By Sweet_Treatz Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm by millermom

Sweet_Treatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treatz Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 9

I am so fustrated because I have decorated quite a few cake over the last several months but still can't seem to get the quality that I want.
I'm always on here reading different things,watching different tutorials, I've taken a Wilton's class and have order Sharon Zambito's buttercream DVD and also the new sheet cake DVD and God if my husband only knew how much money I have spent on all of these little contraptions and decorating tools he would kill me.
I know this is a bit long but please bear with me,
My main problem is that I can not get a sharp edge on my sheet cakes or my round cakes and I am following Sharon's instructions. All I need to figure out is how to get a clean cake before decorating, thats my biggest issue but to me that is very important. My icing pushes up when I do the paper towel method causing the edges to become rounded looking and when I smooth the top the icing just pushes out even more on the sides.

Please someone help me!!
I know I have to keep practicing and I'm doing that with the same results over and over and that's what so fustrating.I'm almost wondering if this is for me!!!

TIA

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 9

have you tried using the foam roller to smooth the icing?? if you run it on the top edge of the cake and push in as you go along the edge it gives a nice crisp edge on the sheetcakes.

Here is a cake I did and you can see the edge is pretty sharp for buttercream lol
LL

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 9

It could be that your icing is too soft. Try just a little stiffer and see if that helps.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 9

I'm NOT an expert caker by any means. But, I am coming from a beginner point of view and may be able to "talk you off the ledge" a bit. icon_smile.gif

After many tries, I have grown some in the smooth edge department. I think it's a matter of finding what tools and methods you are comfortable with. I ended up with the "Tonedna" method of applying buttercream. I'm sure you've checked out her tutorial on Youtube. After I've taken off the excess & have a decent shape, I'll heat my offset spatula in hot water...wipe, and then smooth again, starting with the sides. THEN!!!!!! I after it sets up a bit, I use the viva paper towel with the fondant smoother. Seems like a lot of work to me but I don't pick the results apart when I do all of these steps.

If you look in my pics, the communion cake was one of my firsts. The pink butterfly cake was my last cake.

The consistency thing sounds like a great tip. If you take a second look at some tutorials on making buttercream, some people actually explain characteristics to look for the buttercream texture they like. I think "Tonedna" does this in her BC tutorial.

Oh! I always wanted to try the "upside down" icing method. I have trouble with my tops being level. This method looks like it would take care of that problem & create crisp top edges.

I hope you keep trying. Getting frustrated is the quickest way to run away screaming after you attack your mixer with a ball bat!!!! Just take a break for a moment and repeat to yourself "I will not be out smarted by frosting!!!!!" And, try again.

icon_smile.gif

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 9

I second tiggy2's advice about too soft icing. It makes a huge difference in the sharpness of your edges.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 9

Have you tried choc ganache, you can get really sharpe edges with it and it taste great

Sweet_Treatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treatz Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 9

No I have never tried ganache but I will try anything right about now and thanks for all of the advice and uplifting comments.

Here is a picture of one of my cakes and if you look closely you can see the icing buldging from under the border.
LL

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 9

That bulge needs to be pulled back up onto the top and smoothed out.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 9

It looks like the frosting is too soft to me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%