Boxing Ring Cake: What To Use For Ropes?

Decorating By ChoueiriCakeCo Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 4:28pm by ChoueiriCakeCo

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 13

I'm making a boxing ring cake and I'm not sure what to use for the "ropes" that go around the ring. I tried using floral wires, but I didn't like how that looked. Also, what could I use to hold up the ropes in each corner? I know that if anything I could use dowels and laces/ribbon, but I'd rather try something edible first. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 13

How about Twizzlers pull-n-peel...You may have to let them dry in order for them to hold their shape, though...

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 13

I was thinking the same thing- licorice black strings??

craftbarn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftbarn Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 13

What about using the Oreo straw cookies. They are strong enough to support the twizzlers and yet edible.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 13

Pretzel sticks for the corner posts (there are large & small) cover in fondant and licorice for the ropes.

CakesbyMichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMichele Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 13

I didn't have any luck with the twizzlers, they wouldn't stay in place. I ended up using the colored pipe cleaners and made sure that the client knew they weren't edible. I used the plastic dowel rods on the four corners as the posts, put holes in them where I wanted the pipe cleaners to go, covered with fondant (make sure to find the holes so the fondant doesn't dry over them) and it worked well. Very stable.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 13

If the twizzlers don't work you could just make them out of fondant or modeling chocolate and let them dry.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:43am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I still have some time so I'll be trying out different things and see what works best. Thanks again icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #9 of 13

I saw one in the gallery (I have to do a wrestling ring soon too!) and the person used the fondant covered pretzel rods for the corner posts and used dried spaghetti for the ropes. The dried spaghetti pushed right into the fondant pretzel corners... perfectly straight and rigid ropes.
icon_smile.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #10 of 13

Many great suggestions here! I ended up using wooden dowels and thin ribbon for the ropes, it seemed like the easiest way to go and gave me the look I wanted. I covered the wooden dowels with fondant to make the "red" and "blue" corners, and to hide the dowels. Here's a quick pic (May still need to add more details later):

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:27pm
post #11 of 13

Here was my wrestling ring cake,the directions for how I made my ring is listed in my commentsicon_smile.gif
LL

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:30pm
post #12 of 13

DUH...... I'm sorry I did not look at the date I didn't realize you had already made it...again DUH!!!!

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 13

That's ok, it looks great! This may be very helpful for the person who was looking for help making a wrestling ring cake here:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-674529.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%