Applying Dried Straight Gumpaste To A Round Cake???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 11:59am by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 8

Hi All!

My son is wanting me to make him a Spider-Man cake. He turns 3 in May. I am thinking 10" and 6" round cakes stacked. Buttercream iced. I want the bottom tier to be decorated with Buildings. I want to make these ahead of time. How would I apply a straight dried gumpaste decoration to a round cake? Does that make sense? I hope so. I am thinking with the GP straight and the round cake having a curve it might not go on correctly??

Any suggestions.

Thank you in advance

7 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 8

dry the buildings on the side of the cake pan, then they'll be curved too!

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 8

My friend just made this exact cake! Well round with the buildings anyway. She lay the pieces on plastic wrap then wrapped it around a cake dummy (same size) then wrapped more plastic wrap around it. It was stiff enough not to droop where it was higher than the cake but still slightly pliable enough to mold to the actual shape of the iced cake without cracking.
HTH

Mikel79 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 8

KHalstead....

This might sound stupid, but please let me ask...=)

Will the curve of the cake pan match the curve of the completed iced cake??

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 8

You can also use modeling chocolate. Mike McCarey uses it for his large pieces and he has done some huge buildings. Once the chocolate cools/dries, it stands up very well. It tastes really good too!

I'll try to attach a couple of pictures from the class I just took with Mike. The panels are just a couple of examples of what you can do with modeling chocolate. On the cake, the border is modeling chocolate that we let sit until it was just firm enough to stand up, put a snake around the cake to serve as a dam and attached the border. You can see that it isn't even touching the sides of the cake.

Edited 03/19/2010:
So after posting this, I realized that you didn't ask what you could use instead of gumpaste, but rather how could you make gumpaste work. I guess I'm kind of like those people who review a recipe and tell you all the ways they changed it. I apologize ... I was just so excited about modeling chocolate after this class that I think everyone else should be too. icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 8

I love that flower one! Great job!

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 8

I love the idea of using the cake pan curve to dry the GP pieces...I wish I had thought of that idea for this cake. Well, at least this is an example of what it will look like if you DON'T make your GP curved! icon_cry.gif (and when you rush and use white RI on colored GP!)
LL

Mikel79 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:59am
post #8 of 8

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%