Torting Advice

Decorating By pinky73 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm by Bluehue

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 6

I am once again asking a dumb question and hoping that those of you with experience can give me some helpful tips.
How do you torte your layers? I made a 9x13 layer, let it cool on the counter and used the Wilton leveler to split. I have heard of the Agby (spelling?) but I'm no pro and can't justify the investment.
I had a really hard time getting those skinny (1" or so) layers of cake transfered to the board and then after laying on the filling, it was tricky to get the second delicate layer on top of that without it breaking apart. My cake didn't break but holly cow, it almost did. Is it better to freeze or at least refrigerate those layers before moving them around? Is there a special tool other than my clean hands and forearm to lift them with?
I only split one layer but if I was doing more for a 4" tall cake, I'm afraid the sides would get all cattwampus. Do you trim the sides after you torte and fill but before a crumb coat?
Thanks in advance for any advice you are willing to share!

5 replies
JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 6

Use a cake board and after you cut it slide it under the slice and lift then to put it back on slide it off the board onto the cake. I think a cold cake torts easier for me, I am no pro though.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 6

I use a flat cookie sheet with no sides to transfer the cake 1/2s.

What i do, is level the cake then flip the whole thing on to its board. Then i torte, slide the cookie sheet inbetween the layers and lift it off. Fill the cake, and slide the top back on to the bottom 1/2. I also, leave the parchment paper that i used to line the cake pan on to the cake, until i get that piece back onto the bottom 1/2, it really helps to keep the cake intact. I do torte my large sheets while they are cold, i find them easier to handle this way.

pinky73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinky73 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 6

oh my goodness...why didn't I think of that??! You both gave me great ideas..both with the cake boards and with keeping the parchment paper ont eh bottoms, etc. I never thought of that and had those tools at my disposal the whole time. I think I will start to cool my layers, that might help too. Thank you for the advice, I will use it the next time!!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 6

I have 2 wilton cake lifters, they are perfect for what you need to do. Just slide them in between layers, one from each end and lift the layer off, put it down, frost or fill, then lift back up and onto cake. Very easy and no chance of breaking.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky73

I am once again asking a dumb question

No, that wasn't a dumb question
Everybody asks *something* sometime - thats how we all learn.
Nobody knows everything

Bluehue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%