Bridal Faires/contests And Dummy Cakes?

Decorating By catlharper Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm by leily

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there,

Just wanting to satisfy my curiousity here....for those of you who work Bridal Faires and/or enter in on Wedding Cake Contests...do you ever use real cake under the decorations or always dummy cakes or? Just thinking this might be something I want to get into next year and would feel like an idiot showing up with a real cake entry when everyone elses were dummy cakes! LOL! And I know that Bridal Faires you want to bring samples but are those just sheet cakes or do you actually bring a real wedding cake and slice it at some point in the day or just have a dummy cake?

TIA!

Cat

6 replies
hisbird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hisbird Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 7

When ive done fayres i use dummy cakes with a sheet cake sliced ready for tasting. x

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 7

I've entered 2 competitions and both times used real cake. One of the contests, I think everyone used cake; the other I think I was one of just a few who did.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 7

I don't do bridal shows, but I do enter in local competions, and I use dummy cakes. Using the dummies allows you plenty of time to work on the cake without the worry of the cake going bad, or the pressure of having to do all the work right before the event.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #5 of 7

Interesting! I sort of thought maybe dummy cake/sheet cake for a bridal faire but seems like the vote is divided on the contests. I would love to hear from more people but I realize we are at the weekend and folks are busy!

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettycrockermommy

I don't do bridal shows, but I do enter in local competions, and I use dummy cakes. Using the dummies allows you plenty of time to work on the cake without the worry of the cake going bad, or the pressure of having to do all the work right before the event.

I've been thinking of dummy cakes for the next competition so that I can enter more than one cake.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #7 of 7

Don't forget to read all of the competition rules too. Some require real cake be used, and others it doesn't matter either way.

As for bridal shows. I definitely think your displays should be dummies then take samples already pkg'd or as sheet cakes for everyone to try. This way you are not trying to dissassemble a tiered cake, plus your design is up the whole time for everyone to see.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%