Need Urgent Help...topsy Turvey Cake

Decorating By Miffy Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 4:39am by Miffy

Miffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miffy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 9

Hi
Am in the middle of making my first topsy turvey cake! Following the instructions here on CC, I have baked all my cakes, and now I have started to assemble.

My question is, I think my middle tier will be thinner than the bottom and maybe even the top tier. Is that a huge problem and will it look really silly. Should I pull an all nighter and bake another cake to pad out the middle layer??

Another thought I had would be to cut some off the bottom layer (made up of 3 cakes). I have already stacked the cakes, carved them and covered them in ganache awaiting fondant. Do you think that would work??

I hope this makes sense. I am so annoyed at myself!!!!

Thanks
Emma

8 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 9

I'm no expert, but it should be fine. Since topsy turvey cakes are supposed to look wonky, I'll bet nobody notices but you. Of course, you could always put vertical stripes on the middle tier to make it look taller icon_wink.gif

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 9

what cookied-oh said sounds very reasonable to me too. It's ok that yur cakes are not all the same height, it's Wonky.

Miffy Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks CookieD-oh and jobueno. You may be right!! I like the idea of the stripes in the middle layer. Was going to do the stripes on the bottom layer, but might switch them over!! Thank you thank you thank you icon_smile.gif

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:10am
post #5 of 9

That's funny, I too am in the middle of a TT cake, and I don't worry so much about each layer being level. I shifted the taller sides together, then stacked my top slanted tier, so the tall side matches with the tall sides on the two layers I have together already. Like everyone here said, it's supposed to look "wonky".

Miffy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 9

Put the stripes in the middle....so much better than where I was going to put them. Cant thank you enough for the idea! Just hope my friend does too!!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 9

Be sure to post a picture! I can't wait to see it. icon_smile.gif

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 9

I agree, it will still look great. Post pics when you're done icon_smile.gif

Miffy Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:39am
post #9 of 9

Thanks again for you help. The lady popped by this morning to drop of cupcakes for me to cover as well (allergy cakes) and she loved it. Even commented on the fact that the stripes looked fantastic in the middle!! lol. Have posted a picture. So many things I did wrong, really need to practice using fondant. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%