Cricut Vs Silhouette Vs Something Else?

Decorating By sharlanet Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm by ladij153

sharlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlanet Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 5

I'm getting close to making my electronic craft cutter purchase icon_razz.gif and want to make sure I get the best one to suit my needs. I'm leaning towards the Silhouette so I don't have to buy any extra cartridges or software. I want to be able to cut paper, vinyl, cardstock, mylar, as well as gumpaste, fondant, etc. Will the silhouette work for cake decorating? Is there a machine that will cut and ALSO emboss and how does this work? Is there anything special I would need to buy for the Silhouette such as deep blades or anything? If I went with the cricut, can I cut paper etc. with the cake model?
Thanks for any advice you can give me!

4 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 5

I've been wanting to make the investment too, but I also want to purchase the Sihouette vs Cricut. Let me know which one you decide to go with and if it works for you.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 5

You can cut paper with the cake model of the Cricut. I don't know anything about the other, but will check it out.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 5

You can purchase software to use with the cricut and yu wont have to purchase cartridges. Make the Cut or SCAL (sure cuts a lot). Do the other cutter have a deep cut blade? If not they may not work for gum paste/fondant, etc.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 5

I would love to get a Cricut and have been watching ebay for a good price. There are a lot of Expressions available.....most for around $200ish

Does anyone out there use a Pazzles Creative Cutter Mini? Please let me know what your experience has been. I just bought one on ebay for a good price.

TIA for any info you can provide for me......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%