Need Help Removing Lids From Jester Brand Petal Dust!

Decorating By CutieMcCakes Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm by newmansmom2004

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:43am
post #1 of 14

I feel silly even asking for help on this, but I just purchased the Jester set of 89 petal dusts. They arrived in these small plastic containers. Little did I know that trying to get the lids off would break fingernails and hurt like crazy! I stopped trying to open them after the first one took me 5 minutes and made my hands hurt.

Does anyone have advice on how to best open these little torture devices? I would appreciate any help.

13 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:38am
post #2 of 14

Old fashioned bottle opener..the side that's flat not the side that has the hook. Its the only way to get them open. SIGH...I know, right? Precious, expensive dust that they make you have to wrench the top off of the container! UGH! BUT, you can gently lift the edges with the bottle opener till you get all the way around it and they will open.

CutieMcCakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 14

thanks for the tip! i was experimenting with a spoon this morning and that helped a bit too. I am seriously considering buying the small screw-top jars to house them.

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 14

LOL! That is exactly what I was gonna say. THey are a pain to open. I use the bottle opener too. Mine as a flat side and a pointed side. The flat side works perfect. icon_smile.gif I didnt know they had a set like that! I may have to check that out. Did it save you a good amount by buying it like that/

CutieMcCakes Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 14

JCE, I saved about $6. They sell a whole set of 48 colors in the 4 gram canisters for $89. If you were to buy all of them individually at the $1.99, it would be $95.52. I love the fact that there are so many colors, and I get to experiment with them and figure out which ones I know I will definitely need. Definitely a better idea than buying them in the store, which can be $3.99 per color!

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 14

Yeah, I think the ones I was buying were 2.89. Im gonna go look at that. Im glad you posted this! icon_smile.gif

Kandykin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandykin Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:20am
post #7 of 14

CutieMcCakes, if you are looking for screw top containers, I found a set of 30 containers in the beads section at Michael's for $7.99. They come in a plastic box that hold all 30 containers snug inside.

I haven't put my dusts yet(seeing how hard they are to open, I plan on transferring them when I do happen to open one), but it should easily hold the contents of a regular size petal dust.

I was so thrilled to find the screw-top boxes after huffing and puffing and gnawing at the tops! thumbs_up.gif HTH

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:38am
post #8 of 14

I wish I'd known how awful those were going to be before I bought a bunch of them. Someone mentioned using a church key type bottle opener, which I don't have. I used the other kind - the one with the flat end and the pointy end.

I picked up some plastic bead containers from JoAnn Fabrics - they come in two sizes: 12 cups and 24 cups. The cups are clear with clear screw on lids that fit in a clear case. You can see every color easily and they're now easy to open. I went a step further and made little labels on the computer with the brand and color so I wouldn't buy something I already had. Has made my cake decorating so much easier than fiddling with those awful little plastic snap on lids! AAAAACK!

Kandykin Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I picked up some plastic bead containers from JoAnn Fabrics - they come in two sizes: 12 cups and 24 cups. The cups are clear with clear screw on lids that fit in a clear case. You can see every color easily and they're now easy to open. I went a step further and made little labels on the computer with the brand and color so I wouldn't buy something I already had. Has made my cake decorating so much easier than fiddling with those awful little plastic snap on lids! AAAAACK!

Your description is waay better than mine - sounds like what I was talking about but there were more containers in mine. Did I mention I love them?! icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandykin

Quote:

Your description is waay better than mine - sounds like what I was talking about but there were more containers in mine. Did I mention I love them?! icon_biggrin.gif

I had to laugh. I went to my "craft closet" the other day to get a container and I found TWO brand new 24-cup cases in there that I'd bought and totally forgot about. Guess that means I'll have to get more dusts! LOL!

Kandykin Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 12:28am
post #11 of 14
Quote:

.......found TWO brand new 24-cup cases in there that I'd bought and totally forgot about. Guess that means I'll have to get more dusts! LOL!

Lucky you! I barely have 15 dusts..... icon_rolleyes.gif would love to have as many as the OP to play with, but can't quite justify it yet for me.

newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:57am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandykin

Quote:

.......found TWO brand new 24-cup cases in there that I'd bought and totally forgot about. Guess that means I'll have to get more dusts! LOL!

Lucky you! I barely have 15 dusts..... icon_rolleyes.gif would love to have as many as the OP to play with, but can't quite justify it yet for me.

I got very lucky at a cake show and bought several dusts that were discounted considerably. Now it kills me to pay $3.99 and $4.99 per dust at the retail places.

CutieMcCakes Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 14

Newmansmom, did you see my message about where I got my petal dusts? They are much cheaper than the $3.99 and $4.99 each. I was sick of paying that too, and then another CC member told me about Jester, and i'm hooked at that price. Can't beat it! thumbs_up.gif

newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutieMcCakes

Newmansmom, did you see my message about where I got my petal dusts? They are much cheaper than the $3.99 and $4.99 each. I was sick of paying that too, and then another CC member told me about Jester, and i'm hooked at that price. Can't beat it! thumbs_up.gif

I did. I'll have to check out what they have - thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%