"gloss" Effect With Fondant

Decorating By alewop Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 4:28am by Texas_Rose

alewop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alewop Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 8

I read a couple of months ago about a substance you can buy to make airbrushed fondant look "wet/glossy" like a patent effect. Im making a Marine Corp. Hat. Now when I tried to find it again, I can only find suggestions of vodka, crisco, corn syrup, etc. Does any body know the name of the stuff im talking about ? -Thanks so much!

7 replies
idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:15am
post #2 of 8

Confectioner's Glaze, maybe? I ran across this product online when working on a gumpaste shoe. If you Google, or perhaps even on CC, you can find a recipe to make your own or it can be purchased through various sugarcraft stores.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:15am
post #3 of 8

Confectioner's glaze. You have to buy a bottle of thinner too because it doesn't come off of brushes at all.

This bow was painted with it. It's completely dry in the picture.

Texas_Rose Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #4 of 8

Oh, I just noticed you mentioned an airbrush...you wouldn't want to put confectioner's glaze in the airbrush, I don't think it would ever come out.

Reneesg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reneesg Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 8

I've read of confectioners varnish that will give the cake a gloss. Have you tried using steam on it to make it shiny?

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:00am
post #6 of 8

I don't know if you can put this in an airbrush since I don't have one, but maybe you can use the following recipe and brush it on?

I haven't tried this personally, but it's called edible varnish:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7292/edible-varnish

alewop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alewop Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:06am
post #7 of 8

hey sorry guys....i didn't mean a glaze to go into the airbrush. I meant after it was airbrushed. I found the confectioners glaze and got the thinner too. Thanks so much for everyone's help!!!

Texas_Rose....you do such great work! How did you color your black fondant? My new dilemma is that I need a lot of black fondant. I originally thought I could airbrush white fondant black (im new to airbrush) but after trying it and getting a greenish color when practicing im thinking not. I did research and the one place I found said the only way was to purchase black fondant already colored. Any advice?

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:28am
post #8 of 8

Try Americolor Super Black. If you can use chocolate fondant for what you're doing that's the easiest way...replace part of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder, maybe 1 cup or a little less, and add a bit extra water. Hershey's special dark cocoa makes almost black fondant. Other cocoa powders aren't quite as dark, but either way it doesn't take much black color to make it turn black. If you can't use chocolate, then use the Americolor super black and add it when you add the liquid to the marshmallows. As long as you get it a deep gray, it will darken to black overnight.

I forgot to mention that confectioner's glaze really stinks...you'll want to run the fan in the kitchen or crack open a window while you're using it. The smell goes away as it dries though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%