How To Attach Modeling Chocolate To Cake

Decorating By Edee Updated 20 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm by Edee

Edee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edee Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 12

How do you all attach modeling chocolate or candy clay to your buttercream cake or fondant.

I am making a gift box lid and want the bottom to be buttercream and the lid to be candy clay. How do you attach it to the buttercream?

If you can't, how do you attach it to fondant?

Please help! I need to finish this cake tomorrow, thanks in advance.

11 replies
PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 12

Edee, if I understand you correctly, your cake is iced in BC and you want to lay a lid made in candy clay (Jennifer Dontz's recipe?) on top? If so, just place your fondant or candy clay on the BC. Should adhere just fine. (If your BC has crusted, you can just add a "tad" of water to the back of your box top to make sure it sticks.) Right, guys?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 12

You can also use a small amount of melted chocolate

Edee Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #4 of 12

The recipe I used was candy melts and corn syrup.

What I'm worried about is the sides of the box lid. I have the box lid in 5 pieces. 1 large piece to cover the whole top, then 4 side pieces I need to attach to the top piece or sides of the cake. I'm afraid the side pieces will be too heavy and fall down taking icing with them.

Also, I heard that water just beads up on the candy clay so I didn't know if it would attach and stick.

Will the melted chocolate stick to buttercream?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #5 of 12

Yes it will

Edee Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:54am
post #6 of 12

that is good to know! Thanks.

Do you think the sides will be too heavy for the icing to hold up?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:59am
post #7 of 12

No - I think they will be just fine - especially if they are touching the top piece.

Edee Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #8 of 12

okay, I'm scared to try to put it together, if this doesn't work, I will have to go back to gumpaste.

So do you just cut into the modeling chocolate with the cake regular like you do with fondant?

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:57am
post #9 of 12

Edee, I think I originally misunderstood you. Since you have your cake iced in BC, you're going to need to make sure that the box sides are securely attached to the top of the box lid -- using melted chocolate w/work. You might want to prop up the sides (as you adhere each piece to the top of the lid), in order to make sure that they are totally secure before you let gravity take its course. And, too, it depends on how thick your box top is -- and how that thickness, along with each piece's overall size, affects its weight -- all of which may affect each piece's pull on its side of the cake. HTH

Edee Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 12

okay thanks for the advice. I'm going to try today. Wish me luck.

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 12

Got my fingers crossed. Good Luck!

Edee Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 12

Okay so call me chicken! I ended up covering the cake with fondant first then attached the candy clay with melted chocolate. I really appreciate all of your alls help! Someday I will be brave and try it with buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%