Newbie Pricing Help, Pretty Please?

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm by KarmaStew

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 4

My mother in law took her mothers day cake to work to share with everyone, and they loved it. a few of them want to know if i will make them a cake but im not good with pricing. im still really new and learning and dont feel that i can charge much for my work. but i cant pass up the oppertunity for the experience! i dont want to charge per serving yet. iv looked at how much my ingredients etc cost and was thinking that if i include everything..

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 4

charging per serving vs. charging per cake is just a matter of semantics. How far down do you want to do the math?

Cost of ingredients + cost of labor (which includes gas and time to go buy supplies, clean up, etc) + profit amount = price of cake. "Cost per serving" is just taking that price and dividing it by the number of servings the cake will serve.

If you choose to offer a flat price per cake (and many do), I would recommend you do the math to see that you are being consistent in the overall pricing structure; to see that your avg price-per-serving is about the same. Otherwise, your pricing may be all over the board which is a sign that you are not being consistent and may be shorting yourself price-wise.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 4

In the price, (boards, box, ribbon and most decorations) but charge extra for modles of people/animals and large handmade flowers. would it be ok for a 6" for £20 a 8" for £25 and a 10" for £30?? does that sound ok or too much?

i also have no idea of how to charge for fondant modles/flowes. as that is more about my time than the ingredients?!

any help would be great. TIA

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 4

Oh that sounds like a really great price. Great for your clients, that is, disastrous for you.

You nedd to break down your costs, including electricity, paper towels, laundry detergent, etc. Figure what your time is worth, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%