How Do I Figure It Out How Much I Charge

Decorating By iprruss Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 5:57pm by chrissypie

iprruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iprruss Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 17

I have to make a 6-9-14 127 servings cake ganache covered butter cream, I charge 2.50/servings, even it is ganache filling, but how about the details on the cake?

She wants to take out the 2nd tier (the diamond shapes)

Her budget is $400 with delivery and set up
LL

16 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 17

6/9/14 squares would be about 140 servings - so it would be $350 without any of the extras. I personally wouldn't charge extra for this design - only if there was something extravagant, i.e. gumpaste flowers or lots and lots of piping. You could charge a little for the scrollwork on the one tier, but idk. Do you have a base charge for delivery and setup?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 17

For this cake I wouldn't charge any extra for the details on each tier. They would fall under my "basic" decorations.

I would charge extra for the bow however. I'm guessing it is 6" or 8" bow? My price would be about $30 for the bow probably (been awhile since i've done one and don't have access to my "extra's" right now)

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:39am
post #4 of 17

If I were you, I'd charge her the entire $400. Ganache is expensive not to mention everything else adds up quickly. You aren't going to turn much of a profit at $2.50 a slice.

Seriously, I would charge more than $400 if it were me.

iprruss Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 17

I appreciate for all your answers.

I just figured it out where to find everybody's reply to my post. icon_smile.gif

I will make them round so won't come out as many serving like the square ones.

I charge for the delivery: 20 miles with set up $35
extra miles round trip .58/ mile

I'm new and I think it is a fare price.

Yes, ganache is not cheap, I try to use pretty good chocolate and make it with cream and I do not plan to add any American icing to the ganache. I think, but tell me if I'm wrong, it will hold up the ganache. I can see others add .5/ serving for ganache.

I may go with $400 total with everything, pus I do need to pip the bottoms of the tiers, ganache, plus the price it is 2.50 per serving and the fondant it is extra price, on the buttom cake goes each other serving the fondant, after the pearls.

Thank you again!

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 3:12am
post #6 of 17

127 servings at 2.50 a serving like you stated what your price comes out to $317.50. Considering the expensive ingredients, the bow, delivery, and set up, I'd say $400 even sounds like a fair price.

Almost seems like a deal.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 17

Oy! Your client should be overjoyed, getting a deal like that.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:42am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by iprruss

I appreciate for all your answers.

I just figured it out where to find everybody's reply to my post. icon_smile.gif

I will make them round so won't come out as many serving like the square ones.

I charge for the delivery: 20 miles with set up $35
extra miles round trip .58/ mile

I'm new and I think it is a fare price.

Yes, ganache is not cheap, I try to use pretty good chocolate and make it with cream and I do not plan to add any American icing to the ganache. I think, but tell me if I'm wrong, it will hold up the ganache. I can see others add .5/ serving for ganache.

I may go with $400 total with everything, pus I do need to pip the bottoms of the tiers, ganache, plus the price it is 2.50 per serving and the fondant it is extra price, on the buttom cake goes each other serving the fondant, after the pearls.

Thank you again!

Yeah - just go ahead and make it come out to $400. icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 17

This falls into my Level 2 decor/Fondant/101-150 servings price - $9.50 per serving. So $1330. $400 is giving this cake away in my opinion.

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm
post #10 of 17

$9.50 huh? Huh.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #11 of 17

14" = 78 servings
9" = 32 servings
6" = 12 servings

122 servings x $10 serving for this level of decoration = $1220.00

I include delivery if it is within 25 miles

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:44am
post #12 of 17

Now I'm the last person in the world to knock someone for charging a good amount for work. But please. That just looks like a lot of work. It ain't $9.50 or $10 worth of work. If so, it better look just like that pic when it's done.

iprruss Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:47pm
post #13 of 17

You guys kidding me?

ok, I just can't believe it, even I'm making it from home and starting it out?

Thank you for all your opinion!

icon_cry.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:09pm
post #14 of 17

I agree, that cake is not that complicated or difficult to do. I would charge $3.50 per serving, plus extra for the bow, plus delivery and set-up.

iprruss Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:45pm
post #15 of 17

Interesting, everybody has different opinion and looks like depends where we live.

I already told her $400, it is for the daughter of my boss and I'm in VA, I think it is a good price, for the 3.50 would be 444.

I still have to figure it out if I need to buy the diamond pattern or just make something by my own. And I think I buy the pearls.

How should I make the bottom pipping decoration around the three tiers, BC or RI?

Do you prefer for wedding cakes American BC or Mering based BC and if the last one, which one of the 3 of them?

I really appreciate all your opinions!

Iren

PS:How nice for the CA cake deco. they charge over 1000! icon_smile.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyblake1

Now I'm the last person in the world to knock someone for charging a good amount for work. But please. That just looks like a lot of work. It ain't $9.50 or $10 worth of work. If so, it better look just like that pic when it's done.

I'm with you on this one. NO disrespect, but $9/serv seems a bit expensive for this cake. Given some of the recent wedding cakes I've done, this one isn't that complicated. I'd go with your gut on this one...only you can decide your final price. icon_smile.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 17

The design doesn't look complicated, but all that piping and cutting fondant strips neatly and evenly will take A LOT of time! Ok, maybe not everyone would charge 9/slice for it, but it is labor intensive I think. Much more so than just frosting and putting a few flowers around. I would ballpark it at $5 to $6 per slice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%