Is This A Sign I'm Getting Old?

Lounge By Kitagrl Updated 21 Mar 2010 , 1:33am by Kitagrl

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:38am
post #91 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

no tv remotes!! you had to stand up to change channels

Stand up? Nuh-uh .... that's why kids sat on the floor in front of the big console tv .... so they could reach up and change the channel when the parents said, "turn it ..... turn it ..... turn it......" We kids WERE the "remote controls"!!! and the volume control..... and the horizontal hold fixer, etc.! icon_lol.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:40am
post #92 of 173

Last Saturday, I was spending way too long on the "old lady cream isle" trying to decifer just what the heck is all this stuff that I know I need. Frustrated, I tried to talk my hubby into asking the ladies for advice. He wouldn't do it. (didn't look like they were having much luck in the products they had been using, they all had wrinkles, bags, etc.) Finally, a lady walked by, I got the courage to ask her if she uses anything special and compimented her beautiful skin and she said, don't waste your money on this stuff, I use soap and surgery. Needless to say, I still don't know what to buy.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:43am
post #93 of 173

Oooh Ooooh my parents took such embarrassing photos of my sister and me in our Underoos!!!!! I had Wonder Woman ones (and wore knee high red cable knit socks with square blocks inside for high heeled boots) and my sister had Barbie ones.....

And yes I remember rabbit ears and those VHF channel dials and whatever that other one was, and you kinda had to play with both dials sometimes to get a reception....

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #94 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonicakes

..... I use soap and surgery......

icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:45am
post #95 of 173

I'm thinking maybe the biggest signs we are getting old is that this thread is this long. icon_lol.gif

keonicakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #96 of 173

I was called a "cougar" once. I didn't even know what that was! Some say to marry an old man, I say I'll be picking out my next one at the college graduation. joking of course. (God forbid anything happens to my hubby, he's my first choice)

Mrs-A Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:48am
post #97 of 173

lollies... i could take 5 cents and go to the corner shop and choose which ones i want and get a bag of lollies. now i drop 5c i wont bother to pick it up

and corner shops - we dont have those anymore either

oh and while im at it, i called everyones mum or dad Mr or Mrs last name... im nearly 42 and i still do this when i go back to my mums place

keonicakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:49am
post #98 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I'm thinking maybe the biggest signs we are getting old is that this thread is this long. icon_lol.gif

Oh God! We are getting old! We're going on about things like "those crazy old people"! I'm getting off this thread!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:50am
post #99 of 173

Had a co-worker who said she had a friend in New York who was a JFK stalker. I stopped her and said, "Oh wait. You say JFK and I think of The Dead Guy!" I then explained that people my age referred to JFK Jr as "little john john" and she thought that was the funniest thing she'd ever heard!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:55am
post #100 of 173

Well....I feel OLD when I go to my GYN doctor and see all of these young pregnant girls.

I felt YOUNG when I went for my first visit to a cardiologist!!!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #101 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish245

Does anyone remember Creapy Crawlers or Incredible Edibles? We used to play with those on rainy days.

Believe it or not, I have several creepy crawlers that sit on my keyboard. A friend of ours would talk about it all the time, how much he's LOVE to have one again. So, for Christmas a couple years ago we tracked one down on ebay, then found a place where we could buy new goop to go with it. He was thrilled to death and made us a bunch of creepy crawlers that we keep right here. Do you remember the edible ones?

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:01am
post #102 of 173

Love this thread................Does anyone remember pet socks from the 70's that came about because of the huge pet rock craze? It seems like I am the only one who remembers them and yes I had a pair. They were knee socks with a big fuzzy ball like what use to be on the back of tennis socks (footies) with iron on eyes on the front of your ankle. Toe socks also came out around the same time.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:02am
post #103 of 173

Used outhouses (the real deal -- not port-a-potties) many times before he was 10

(oh, and even got a "whoopin" for tipping one too)

When visiting grandma, the bathroom was an outhouse, tho' the house did have "indoor plumbing" at least that's what grandma called the old fashioned hand pump in the kitchen (and yes, you usually had to prime it too)

Learned how to sew on a TREADLE sewing machine.

Our party line ring was 2 long 1 short (and of course a party line meant mom knew what I had done wrong LONG before I could get home)

The first tv we had was round

Manual choke on the car

(and later the push button transmission on the plymouth)

skate key forever getting lost

candy was a penny and is was BIG

doors didn't get locked

kids roamed the neighborhood freely (remember that party line--Napalitano/CIA/FBI has NOTHING on those moms!)

Bread was a dime at the day old bread store.

ink pens LEAKED and needed refilling

ah the memories of my youth.

cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:03am
post #104 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy5678

Wow! What a thread....I'm singin the blues thinkin about the "olden daze!" Hey y'all young chicks in the 60's club, did you have a Cootie Game, sidewalk skates with a key, pedal pushers, bebops or penny loafers? When did you wear your first pant suit (polyester of course) to work? And yes, I do remember watching the first moon walk and it wasn't Michael Jackson! icon_smile.gif Do Wops to you all!

I'm not in the 60's club, not for another 6 years, but I sure remember all those things. And one of my favorite things to wear was my nehru jacket. I remember having to wear skirts and dresses to school. No pants allowed, not even if it was snowing.

cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:08am
post #105 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by davespeg

I was in an assemebly in High school when it was announced that JFK was shot. I was 16 when the Beatles played the Hollywood Bowl and I was there screaming my head off. AHHHHHHHHHHHH memories.

There are no words to express how jealous I am....... icon_cry.gif

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:13am
post #106 of 173

Here's some more...my aunt's old phone number was 'Diamond16497'; No ZIP Codes, just 'zones' (Cleveland 5, Ohio); Mum cream deodorant in a jar; towels came as a premium in Breeze laundry powder and my mom collected an entire set of 'good' glassware from the big boxes of oatmeal; a wrist watch communication/video device was the stuff of science fiction and Dick Tracy comics; full-sized candy bars for 5 cents ( as I'm typing, I realize there is no 'cent' sign on the keyboard).

I can't seem to remember what I ate for dinner yesterday, but I can still remember my aunt's phone number from blerpfuzzlefinkstein years ago?????

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:14am
post #107 of 173

And NOW I decide to start decorating cakes????

Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:17am
post #108 of 173

Doug I never put you that...er...old. haha.

I'm always impressed with you "older ladies and gentlemen" (okay even older than ME) who are so web savvy that you come across as around my age. Kudos!!! thumbs_up.gif

My dad is only in his 50s and he still complains about computers and refuses to put his credit card number in one. Once in awhile he still calls me "Hey I want something on Ebay...will you buy it and I'll pay you back?"

Doug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:17am
post #109 of 173

anyone remember "schmoos"?

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #110 of 173

langranny - it is so true...I remember our polio vacine was a sugar cube doused in medicine. Aren't the grandkids fun, " you didn't have that?" "You did what?".......but my kids aren't any better they are always reminding throwing out reminders that I'm OLD.... (but in a fun way) I don't feel as old as I am.....thank goodness......my baby is 44.

This has been a fun forum......

cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:22am
post #111 of 173

Anyone remember putting baseball cards in the spokes of their bicycle tires?
Or 5 cents to mail a letter?
A Brownie camera and you had to lug around the flash bulbs..
Brylcreem (a little dab'l do ya)
Car hops? We actually have a drive in restaurant near us where they have car hops in the summertime.
Not to forget drive-in movies. We still have 2 of those in our area
How about Sky King on tv Saturday mornings?
S&H Green Stamps
Making gum wrapper chains
The TV test pattern that would come on after they played the Star Spangled Banner at the end of the tv viewing day.

Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:24am
post #112 of 173

I remember green stamps!

Doug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #113 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Anyone remember putting baseball cards in the spokes of their bicycle tires?
Or 5 cents to mail a letter?
A Brownie camera and you had to lug around the flash bulbs..
Brylcreem (a little dab'l do ya)
Car hops? We actually have a drive in restaurant near us where they have car hops in the summertime.
Not to forget drive-in movies. We still have 2 of those in our area
How about Sky King on tv Saturday mornings?
S&H Green Stamps
Making gum wrapper chains
The TV test pattern that would come on after they played the Star Spangled Banner at the end of the tv viewing day.

YES to all of that (and even the yellow stamps that were the competitor to green stamps

and getting some kind of savings stamps at the gas station where the car attendant pumped your gas, checked the oil and cleaned the windows too at no charge

and the meat shop where you ordered your meat (and got a free hot dog if you were a kid -- where my love of cold hot dogs straight from the package began) and then the counter man gave you a little slip of paper to take to the cashier in the booth on the other side of the room to pay up and then back to the main counter for the now wrapped up meats.

A&W Root Beer drive-in stands!!!

pharmacies where they still actually compounded (made up) the medicine instead of just counting pills

------------------------------

oh my ..... this has become one nostalgia trip!!!

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:31am
post #114 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

no tv remotes!! you had to stand up to change channels

Stand up? Nuh-uh .... that's why kids sat on the floor in front of the big console tv .... so they could reach up and change the channel when the parents said, "turn it ..... turn it ..... turn it......" We kids WERE the "remote controls"!!! and the volume control..... and the horizontal hold fixer, etc.! icon_lol.gif

OOOh me too, my mothers tv remote had a name "KELLYEEEEE" come change the channel. "bless her heart"

Kelly icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:34am
post #115 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

and the meat shop where you ordered your meat (and got a free hot dog if you were a kid -- where my love of cold hot dogs straight from the package began) and then the counter man gave you a little slip of paper to take to the cashier in the booth on the other side of the room to pay up and then back to the main counter for the now wrapped up meats.

Huh? They would give a cold hot dog? Hmm. That's interesting because my dad always would grab a cold hot dog out of the package and eat them. So then growing up sometimes I did that too....They tasted fine to me, since my dad always did it.

Then when I got older and heard how "horrifying" that was to most people of course I stopped the practice LOL along with all the "danger" that supposedly lies in them anyway.

Maybe that's where my dad got it!

Doug Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:37am
post #116 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:

Huh? They would give a cold hot dog? Hmm. That's interesting because my dad always would grab a cold hot dog out of the package and eat them. So then growing up sometimes I did that too....They tasted fine to me, since my dad always did it.

Then when I got older and heard how "horrifying" that was to most people of course I stopped the practice LOL along with all the "danger" that supposedly lies in them anyway.

Maybe that's where my dad got it!

the meat shops version of a pacifier (here kid -- eat -- shut up!)

they are FULLY cooked (read label) -- just need reheating.

only problem -- being cold, it's too easy too eat too many.

and the mass produced ones today don't hold a candle to the taste of real butcher shop ones.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:42am
post #117 of 173

I think Cedar Rapids IA used to have the oldest A&W drive in until about 1 1/2 ago when there was a huge flood. I didn't hear if they were going to rebuild it.

Mrs-A Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:48am
post #118 of 173
Quote:

..... and the meat shop ....

gosh.... butchers did not open on weekends and bakeries were open only until 12noon

thursday late night shopping was earth shattering and on public holidays and sundays - everything was closed so no shopping at all

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:53am
post #119 of 173

I still have a Christmas record my dad got free at the gas station with a fill up.

and lunch counters with the water served in that paper funnel in a metal holder........ icon_confused.gif

how about a department store where your money went in a vacuum tube to the cashier and they sent back change.........

oh and I was a "Paul" girl and I would have died to see the Beatles

cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:54am
post #120 of 173
Quote:

Quote:

..... and the meat shop ....

gosh.... butchers did not open on weekends and bakeries were open only until 12noon

thursday late night shopping was earth shattering and on public holidays and sundays - everything was closed so no shopping at all

Oh my goodness, yes, the suppermarkets closed at 6 every night, but would stay open til 9 on Friday nights, close at 5 on Saturday and closed on Sunday. Bergen County, NJ still has blue laws and stores are closed on Sundays in the whole county.

I remember going into the bakery with my mom and they would always give me a cookie. mmmmmmmm

In addition to the other stamps, there were also Plaid Stamps. My mother would stuff the drawers fulll of stamps, then every so often out would come all the different stamps, all the different books and we would separate the different ones and put them in the books.

And remember getting a free glass with a fill up of gas?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%