Can I Ship Royal Icing?

Decorating By ChoueiriCakeCo Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm by cookiemookie

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 7

I would like to mail already mixed royal icing. I use meringue powder instead of real egg whites, and I just wanted to know is it safe to ship royal icing? Would there be any problems with the heat during shipping? I store my royal icing in airtight containers with plastic wrap so it doesn't dry out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 7

I can't see a problem with it shipping. I would probably go ahead and put the bowl in a ziplock bag, and then just some packing peanuts in the box to keep it from getting banged around and broken. Just be sure to stir it really will be for using it again.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 7

One piece of advice, do not fill your containers up to the top...leave some room for expansion.

I had some stored leftover royal icing(it was black) and I came to find quite the mess. It seems the icing(it tends to separate when stored) blew the lid right off. I probably had it filled pretty much to the top.

It kind of reminded me of lava from a volcano. icon_cry.gif

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 7

Cookiemookie, thanks for the advice!! I have a container of black RI filled to the top that is about to have three tablespoons removed from it! thumbs_up.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks TexasSugar & cookiemookie. And wow, I didn't know it expands, I'll definitely keep that in mind! thumbs_up.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 7

How about putting it in a ziplock bag first then in the plastic container.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 7

If you have time to do a search on here and look through my posts, I do have pictures! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%