Raising My Prices

Business By Tellis12 Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 5:28pm by Tellis12

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 7

I want to raise my prices a bit and when I did this in the past I put up a notice on my website saying that at such and such a date the prices were going up. However, I don't really want to book a lot more at my current prices so can I just raise them whenever? Or should I let people know a raise in prices is coming?

6 replies
WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 7

I'f you've done a consultation in the last week I might shoot them an e-mail and let them know when the prices are going up. Other than that I would just change them.

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 7

The grocery store doesn't notify me when prices go up on anything, even if I have made my list with current prices and I don't get to the store until after the cost has gone up.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 7

when I did a price increase, I'd always put a notice on my website that prices would go up on such-such date and I would run an early booking special of any events booked prior to that date would hold current pricing. My phone would ring off of the hook.

Tellis12 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 7

If they've already booked a consultation with me I'll go ahead and honor their prices. But I think that as of April 1, prices will go up. So any consultations booked after that will be more. What about the people who already contacted me several months ago but have taken their time booking? What do I tell them? I'd much rather book more cakes at a higher price but I feel like I shouldn't raise their prices.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellis12

What about the people who already contacted me several months ago but have taken their time booking? What do I tell them? I'd much rather book more cakes at a higher price but I feel like I shouldn't raise their prices.

When you sent the quote out, did you put a limitation on it? My quotes always said "Quote valid for 30 days" and I'd explain that if they made a decision more than 30 days from now, we'd have to look and see if there had been any price changes.

I don't know any business that allows a quote to be valid for "forever".

Tellis12 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 7

Debi, that's a great idea. I don't normally do quotes over the email but adding in something like that to my signature is a good idea, just to let brides know they don't have forever to book at that price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%