Using Towels For Baking Strips?

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 3:45pm by sheena

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 13

I read somewhere where you can cut strips of towels wet them and use them for baking strips. Does it make difference what kind of towel you use? I have microfiber kitchen towels I don't mind cutting up. TIA

12 replies
dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 13

I took old bath towels and tore them into strips. They weren't quite long enough so I sewed the ends together. I also sewed along the long edges so that they wouldn't unravel. They work great.

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 13

Before I purchased baking strips, I've used terrycloth towels. I know it may not be necessary, but once on the pan, I covered them with strips of aluminum foil. Probably over-kill LOL, but it worked great.

I'm not sure about the microfiber. I'll be interested in seeing what the "pros" have to say.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 13

What is in microfiber? I meant to make sure it is a material that won't melt. Such as cotton.

I personally have the bake even strips. I am still using the ones I bought 9 years ago. They have more than paid for themselves, in my opinion.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 13

I took dsilvest advice and cut pieces from an old bath towel. So far I can see the difference no hump on top. I will have to figure out how much batter I need per pan since you don't seem to need as much. I think I added a little to much batter. LOL. Thanks for the info everyone.

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 13

I've never used bake even strips or towels to bake... I would love to experiment with old towels... could someone tell me exactly how please?...Because most of my cakes get a big bump which I later level with a torter. But I'd rather learn to bake without the bump icon_smile.gif

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 13

I just used the bake even strips for the first time last night and I was really impressed. Sweettreat, I hear ya! I could have used a little less batter. My cakes were even, but a little tall, lol!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 13

I have used old sweat material for years.....but into strips. They work great....but into about 4" strips, (the sweat material usually streches some) several different lengths depending on the size of the pan....dampen and wrap.....attach with pins or I usually have them long enough that I can secure by tucking them under each other. (twice around the pan to tuck).....they last a long time, they may get dark but it's ok.....when they get to brittle I discard them....

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 13

I've started with the generic ShamWow stuff that I got at the dollar store - that worked ok but dried out a little too fast. I changed to fleece - works great and CHEAP. I just bought a piece off the remnant table. Terrycloth or microfiber would work too - the biggest problem with regular terrycloth is that it ravels so you have to finish off the sides and seams. Don't think microfiber ravels but the big advantage to fleece is that it is wide - so less sewing of seams to get long enough strips - and it holds LOTS of water which really makes the cakes rise slowly and evenly - I do very little leveling.

Pretty much any fabric will work - the more water it holds the better it works I think. As long as it's really wet to start, it won't burn in the oven.

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAtM2Gaf1Xg&feature=player_embedded

Sheena: Here is how you would do it just use towels instead of the wet napkins.

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 13

Sheena - you may also want to try the "flower nail" method, along with the baking strips if your cakes are crowning high. If you'd like to PM me, I'll be happy to share some pointers I've learned lately.

Cheley

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 13

wow. great threat. I have never used any type of baking strips so I must try them, to see what is the difference.

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks makenice99 and DreamMaker2 icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%