Dodged A Bullet?

Decorating By weirkd Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 12:44am by JulieMN

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, so I have this bride in Georgia. I sent her cake samples twice. First one didnt make it. Then she books. Great.
So we decide to meet up at the local mall which is an hour away from me, when she is in town. She wanted her MIL to taste the cakes,etc. So I said fine and drove out there. I sat there for 2 hours and she didnt show. My cell phone was dead so I finally was able to call her when my husband showed to drop off my daughters on his way to work. She claims she was there and looked for me. There was no way she could of NOT saw me. Anyway, she tells me that she is too busy the rest of the weekend but then comes up with the idea of me driving another hour to where their having dinner at. I show up and the waitress is looking for their table. So I go back up to the hostess area and text her and she tells me to wave. So like a big idiot I do. I had walked by this woman twice with two boxes in my hand. (one of the cakes is for her mother who is vegan). So I sit down on a half of a seat. I cant even put anything out because the table is covered in food. So I explain things to her and her MIL just glares at me most of the time. I leave and drive two hours home. So that was three weeks ago. I just get an email telling me that their going with another baker because her MIL didnt like the "mix up" and that she wasnt happy with the presentation and the fact that the white cake box had stains from where the cakes were inside.
Im so mad right now but at the same time I guess I dodged a bullet. Im sure it would of been a PITA with this client the rest of the journey but still just makes me mad after all I went through.
Ok, thanks for letting me vent! icon_cry.gif

11 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 12

So are you saying she cancelled the booking? If so, it is a blessing to be rid of her. But why on Earth would you do more than one free sampling. You do realize you spent a small fortune in gas costs and cake costs to accommodate her rudeness. And for what? Glad to know you dodged that bullet, but did you really? She had you jumping through hoops.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 12

I agree with Divine...Why on earth would YOU go out of yor way twice to accomodate this bride..They come to me period..I don't care if they live 1000 miles away.No cake order is ever worth me running around chasing people etc...Too bad about the order but then again...maybe not!! Hugs.....

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 12

I read what you said, I looked at your cakes and I am wondering why you would do this? I don't have a business as I am a hobby baker but geez girl, your cakes are great and I doubt that you are desparate for business.

I agree with the other two posters - they need to come to you. What you did was way overboard and then to be treated like you were - guess again - NEVER AGAIN! And you are right - thank your lucky stars that they decided to go with some else - that would have been nothing but problems, pissing and moaning and then they wuold have wanted the cake for free cause everything would have been wrong with it that they could think of.

Do not give it another thought and chalk it up to...."What was I thinking????"

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 12

I'm sorry this bride had you running around so much! I (seriously) breathed a sigh of relief when I read that they contacted you that they were going with someone else. If they were this difficult to deal with now, and had such gripes with the lengths you have already gone through for them, I somehow feel that they would not have been any easier to deal with when it comes time to work on "THE Cake".

Now, just take a deep breath in, exhale, and say "Thank goodness!!!" Don't waste another moment being frustrated about this. Just think of all of the people who have made what you do worth your while. Right now, think of the kindest, sweetest bride or couple (or anyone!) that you have worked for, and let them put a smile on your face and in your heart.

I hope you have a beautiful day!!! icon_smile.gif

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 12

Seriously? That MIL is one snobby witch.... but there is no way in he!!! that I would have driven all over God's green earth to take cake samples to someone. If she really wanted her MIL to taste the cake, then she should have made the time to come to you.

You and your work are more valuable than that to go chasing after an order. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 12

OK, go stand in front of the mirror and repeat 100 times,

"I am the boss of me. I choose what business to accept. Not all business is good business."

Get back over there in front of the mirror.

I could go on and on, but I think everyone has covered it so far.

weirkd Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks everyone! Yah, I know. One of the things that I need to work on is self confidence.
I also figure that this girl is going to have to live with the witch telling her how to run her life and making her life miserable which is pay back enough. Not to mention she will probably pay ten times what I was charging her for someone local! So if the MIL wants to pay that, so be it!
And after I had a chance to calm down about it I really do think it was a blessing in disguise!
I emailed her back and wished her luck and said that I was sorry her MIL felt that way but she really should of noticed the great lengths that I went for them. Wished her well, good luck with her wedding and future. (She will need it!!) And I figure karma will bite the MIL in the butt in the long run! (would be funny if they cant find a baker or would it be wrong to want her to choke on it when she's eating it???...wha ha ha haaaa! Just kidding.)

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 12

Yeah, you are better than me. I would have waited 30 minutes MAX - and even that is pushing it! But 2 hours.... nah, I would have canceled on her.

weirkd Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 12

You wonder how people can get away with acting that way. My parents raised me better than that!

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:30am
post #11 of 12

In your original post, you mentioned that she booked with you. Please tell me you insisted on a deposit to book and now she's out money since she canceled???

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:44am
post #12 of 12

[quote="leah_s"]OK, go stand in front of the mirror and repeat 100 times,

"I am the boss of me. I choose what business to accept. Not all business is good business."

quote]

Love this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%