Questions About Working With Fondant

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 2:12pm by dsilvest

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

I had my first 'play date' with fondant last night and have a few questions please.

1 - How do you get fondant to stick to the crusting buttercream?

2 - What do you use to stick the dragee's onto fondant?

3 - Do you have any special method to marble fondant? I had to do it twice because the first batch got over blended.

It was a fun experience and I will definately be trying this again soon!

I'm going to try and include a picture.
LL

4 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:08am
post #2 of 5

Hi!
I will try to answer all of your questions. Here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4beatles

I had my first 'play date' with fondant last night and have a few questions please.

1 - How do you get fondant to stick to the crusting buttercream?.
To get fondant to stick to crusting buttercream you can lightly mist the surface of the icing with water OR you can brush a 1 inch band of piping gel around the bottom edge of the cake for the fondant to adhere to. If you cover in fondant before the cake has crusted too much it will stick without extra treatment.

Quote:

2 - What do you use to stick the dragee's onto fondant?. You can stick dragees onto fondant using royal icing (strongest) - a little tiny bit goes a long way or piping gel.

Quote:

3 - Do you have any special method to marble fondant? I had to do it twice because the first batch got over blended.
The best way to marble fondant is to take the colors each seperately and form them into log shapes that are the same length. Then twist the colors together and fold in half and stretch and fold in half. Continue stretching and folding until you reach the desired level of marbeling. If you over work it you will lose the marble and end up with your fondant being completely colored.

I hope this helps!
Happy Caking!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:09am
post #3 of 5

Oh - and your cake looks good. Love the St. Patrick's Day theme!

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much Angel!

I'm going to be trying the embroidery technique tonight - should be fun!! icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 5

Cake looks great for a first time play date.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%