Baking "flat Cakes" (No Dome!)

Decorating By EmmaHols Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 1:13am by Mrs-A

EmmaHols Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmaHols Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:02am
post #1 of 7

After reading Rizzygirl's post on using flower nails to reduce 'the dome' (thank you rizzygirl) I started playing with reducing my domes. Nails didn't seem to work for me and I'm told they rust. When I was working with Debbie Brown she mentioned her technique and it's amazing!

Once you've filled your cake pan, you put a cookie tray (or large cake pan) over the top of your cake pan and cook like that. I was skeptical but now I never cook a cake any other way!

I cannot tell you how much levelling and scraps this techniques has saved me, it's a completely amazing! Try it!

In the first stage of baking the batter will rise and hit the pan then spread out to the edges of your cake tin. I then remove the top pan after 30 minutes and allow the cake to finish cooking normally. There'll be a funny gooey ridge at this stage but it cooks through fine, and is levelled off later so don't worry.

Don't forget to oil spray the bottom of the top pan (I use a sheet of oiled parchment paper) beforehand or you'll be scraping cake off the wrong pan!

Good Luck!

6 replies
Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:24am
post #2 of 7

Bake the cake, take out of oven, then put wax paper over cake and press down with mayb a potholder smooth, no dome....

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 7

that sounds interesting..... will have to try it...

EmmaHols Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmmaHols Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 7

No, fill pan, put wax paper and second pand on top THEN bake. Sorry, I must'vebeen really tired when I wrote it and it doesn't make sense!

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #5 of 7

Wouldnt it be easier to use Bake strips? I use them and dont get a dome, Im asking as Im always open to new ideas....

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:10am
post #6 of 7

I will have to try this!! Mine don't dome too bad now, but anything to help even the little bit icon_smile.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #7 of 7

after reading about them on this site i bought some bake strips and they have worked every time so far - no dome

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%