Attaching Ribbon To Cakes

Decorating By MCook Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 11:18am by pattycakesnj

MCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCook Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 8

I tried doing searches but got everything but what I need.
What do you all use to secure the two ends of fabric ribbon at the back of each cake tier? Toothpicks, a dab of BC...????
I have 2" ribbon that is to go around 4 round tiers--never used real ribbon before, only fondant.
Will the oil in the BC come through? I plan to put the ribbon on last at the reception site.

Thanks,

7 replies
Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:03am
post #2 of 8

I was taught to use royal icing. I've used it and never had a problem with it bleeding. icon_smile.gif

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:13am
post #3 of 8

Hi

For me, I find the easiest way is a small piece of double sided tape at the back, it doesn't touch the cake just the ribbon and is easy to remove when the cake is ready to be cut.

Lyndsey xx

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 8

I "grease" the ribbon first with cooking spray, so you don't get uneven spots from the BC soaking through, then I dab a little BC to glue the ends together on the back.

rae_rae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rae_rae Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 8

I am having a similar problem. My problem is that the ribbon bulges and does not want to lay against the cake. I had to remove my ribbon on my cake last night because it simply would not stay even. Any suggestions on what I am doing wrong??? I am sure the cake is not perfectly round but surely that cannot be the problem?????????

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 8

Rae_Rae,
Use a little dab of BC on the back of it every 4 or 5 inches, then gently with each forefinger, start in the front and go around gently flattening and pushing in to secure the ribbon, your fingers should meet in the back. I hope I explained that right- it should smooth the ribbon and adhere it to the cake better........HTH
Kerri

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:59am
post #7 of 8

Sorry to hijack the thread but how does everyone attach ribbon to the side of the cake board? i have been told that to attach ribbon to a fondant cake by dipping the ribbon in water, removing the extra water and place on the cake. securing with a pin untill dry. would that be ok?
TIA

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:18am
post #8 of 8

Here is the link to that same question I asked a few weeks ago. HTH
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-670213-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%