Border To Hide

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 1:14pm by brincess_b

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 7

I still have trouble trimming the fondant on my cakes and getting it to look nice at the bottom. I usually just do a BC border to cover the flaws.
Are there anything other options that are just as quick that would look better? I dont' have time to make beads.
TIA icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 7

I always cover my cakes while they are sitting on a wide soup can or something on my turntable...that way I can cut the fondant with a knife flush with the bottom of the cake board.

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 7

If you have a clay extruder you can make a fondant rope to go around the bottom. Even if you don't, you can still roll out a "worm" of fondant like we did as kids with playdoh. If you use a fondant smoother or some other rigid flat object to roll instead of your hands it'll make the rope a lot more uniform.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 7

Also first impressions makes some really nice rope border molds! Love those!

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:47am
post #5 of 7

I've just bought a lace mould and cutter set, it's so easy to use and it looks great. Much easier than piping around the cake

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1609888

Lyndsey xx

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 11:58am
post #6 of 7

Dstbni--Thanks for the hint on making a rope using a fondant smoother. I never thought of that, and it is SO hard to make uniform ropes using your hands. I don't have an extruder, and your tip should make it much easier! This is why I love CC! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 7

Also look on u tube for piped Borders, some good and different ideas there. U can do a very simple snail trail - a narrow tip, bassicallu pipe a string of dots.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%