Buying Cake Equipment In Usa (I'm Visiting On A Holiday!)

Decorating By Sweet_Toof Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm by Eisskween

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 15

I am visiting Las Vegas, LA, NYC and Miami on a holiday in a couple of weeks. I am from Australia and haven't visited before.
I wanted to know if anyone here knows where I can get my hands on some great cake decorating tools like cutters etc etc.... We're in Hollywood, SoHo... Vegas... I'm not sure how easy it'll be for me to find what I am looking for in such large tourist areas.
Thanks
Bianca

14 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 15

In NYC, there is NY Cake and Baking at 56 West 22nd Street (it is downtown near Soho) and their website is nycake.com. I have to stay out of there, it is easy to spend a fortune, they have so much stuff. There is also a bunch of others in NYC like PanHandlers, just google NYC and cake decorating supplies. Good luck and bring an extra empty suitcase with you.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 15

Here is a recent thread about Las Vegas...

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672445-.html

HTH

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:14am
post #4 of 15

If you get to the Orlando area when you are in Florida, go to D & G Occasions, and Jesters. Both have lots of items and the prices are not bad. I am lucky enough to get there once a year!

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:40am
post #5 of 15

There is a store in Ft Lauderdale it's cake supplies depot..the website is cakesuppliesdepot.com. They have lots of cutters and other supplies. They are easy to get to from Miami. Right off the interstates. Take a peek!! Happy shopping.

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #6 of 15

I won't make it to Orlando unfortunately.
I will be going to Aventura Shopping Mall in Miami though. Does that mall have anything of use?

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #7 of 15

Don't know about that mall but mall stuff is generally expensive! Why don't you try stores like Michaels or JoAnn to get some supplies? You can even check the local newspaper for 40% off coupons that can be used in these stores. Or sign up on their websites and they will send you a coupon either immediately or in a few days. icon_smile.gif

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #8 of 15

Aventura Shopping Mall does not really have much on cake supplies. They have some kitchen stores, but not a lot of cake cutters.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:18am
post #9 of 15

hi, go on line to hobby lobby, jo-ann's and michaels and they have site's for their stores.

Sweet_Toof Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:33am
post #10 of 15

The problem may be postage costs if I visit their online stores to purchase...
miami is a really quick stop that's why we only have time for Aventura.
But we will be in Vegas for a whole week (and we're not even gamblers!) and NYC (Soho) for a week as well so I thought those 2 may be the better of the options..

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 7:42am
post #11 of 15

For how long will you be in LA? Will you have a car - it will be difficult to get around otherwise. Please see this thread on Southern California's stores:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-666890.html

Good Luck & have a safe flight(s)!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:25am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bianks

I am from Australia and haven't visited before.

Your first trip to the US and all you can think of is cake! ha ha! We really DO have an illness...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 8:35am
post #13 of 15
Quote:

I think she was suggesting looking on their websites to see what the stores carry.

Personally, if you're used to good cake tools then you don't want to go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby and stock up on Wilton.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:

miami is a really quick stop that's why we only have time for Aventura.
But we will be in Vegas for a whole week (and we're not even gamblers!) and NYC (Soho) for a week as well so I thought those 2 may be the better of the options..

Visit the websites to sign up for their emails and they will send you coupons that you can use in the stores.

Here is a link for the various Michaels stores in Las Vegas: http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=michaels+las+vegas&fb=1&gl=us&hq=michaels&hnear=las+vegas&view=text&ei=aGOiS6mDKYeXtgfR2eGkCg&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=7&ved=0CDEQtQMwBg

Many of us built our supplies by using those coupons since 40% off is quite a good discount! HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 15

There's a great shop in NYC and they have two locations.

http://www.nycake.com/

Have a safe and fun-filled trip! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%