Imbc Butter Content Question

Decorating By cookielicious Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm by metria

cookielicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookielicious Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 11

Has anyone tried this recipe?

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7381/italian-meringue-buttercream-imbc

I just made it and it used 1 1/2 lbs (6 sticks) of butter! It sounds like so much to me! But it made a fairly large batch of IMBC. I've never made this before, so maybe this is normal...??? It's very yellow, but still silky and smooth. I guess what I am asking is- how can people eat this knowing you're probably eating a whole stick of butter on your cake slice? Yikes!!! I guess regular shortening/butter buttercream isn't that much better...

10 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:45am
post #2 of 11

So that quantity of icing only made a cake that serves 6 people for you? I'd say cut down on the size of the slice! icon_lol.gif

I'd rather eat a few tablespoons of butter than shortening, any day. thumbs_up.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:58am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I'd rather eat a few tablespoons of butter than shortening, any day. thumbs_up.gif

Me too! I love IMBC! icon_lol.gif

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #4 of 11

I eat that much butter on my pancakes in the morning icon_lol.gif There might be more butter but think of all the extra sugar a shortening based buttercream has.The recipe I use calls for 5 pounds icon_eek.gif

Butterfly325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly325 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 11

I made that IMBC recipe recently as well, and what I wanted to know is how do I make it thicker? I tried refridgerating it and then freezing it. BIG mistake! I'm pretty sure the sugar and butter separated and it looked horrible! It was late and I had a cake due the next morning so it had to do. It looked disgusting, but still tasted delicious. When we were transporting the cake the syrup started oozing out of the bottom! It was gross icon_biggrin.gif Any ideas on how to prevet this? Is this not a good recipe to use under fondant?

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly325

I made that IMBC recipe recently as well, and what I wanted to know is how do I make it thicker? I tried refridgerating it and then freezing it. BIG mistake! I'm pretty sure the sugar and butter separated and it looked horrible! It was late and I had a cake due the next morning so it had to do. It looked disgusting, but still tasted delicious. When we were transporting the cake the syrup started oozing out of the bottom! It was gross icon_biggrin.gif Any ideas on how to prevet this? Is this not a good recipe to use under fondant?

IMBC refrigerates and freezes quite well (and I only use meringue buttercreams under fondant), although i am not familiar with this recipe in particular. I can say that after refrigerating it you might bring it back to room temperature and then BEAT THE HELL OUT OF IT with the paddle attachment on your mixer--seriously, beat it within an inch of its life, and then beat it some more... it WILL come back together.

cookielicious Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:44pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

So that quantity of icing only made a cake that serves 6 people for you? I'd say cut down on the size of the slice! icon_lol.gif

Lol, no icon_wink.gif The recipe used 6 sticks of butter! I just hadn't made it before so it seemed like a lot. It's at least double the butter I use in my buttercream. But I am thrilled with the taste! I would rather eat butter than shortening too!

cookielicious Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenleysmommy

I eat that much butter on my pancakes in the morning icon_lol.gif There might be more butter but think of all the extra sugar a shortening based buttercream has.The recipe I use calls for 5 pounds icon_eek.gif

True... I didn't think about all the sugar that gets left out!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:12pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly325

IMBC refrigerates and freezes quite well (and I only use meringue buttercreams under fondant), although i am not familiar with this recipe in particular. I can say that after refrigerating it you might bring it back to room temperature and then BEAT THE HELL OUT OF IT with the paddle attachment on your mixer--seriously, beat it within an inch of its life, and then beat it some more... it WILL come back together.

PINKZ is dead on. This can happen and just beat it up again before using. It will be gorgeous. The only thing I do different on SMBC is add 1/2 C. more sugar and use 1/2 C. Vanilla/Flavoring. This seems to really make the flavor pop and the as for more sugar, I just like a sweeter SMBC. Also, I use 1/2 Salted, 1/2 Unsalted butter....

My issue is the decorating part. Does anyone add anything to there decorating SMBC/IMBC to make it stiffer and hold up better? icon_smile.gif

Butterfly325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly325 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

PINKZ is dead on. This can happen and just beat it up again before using. It will be gorgeous. The only thing I do different on SMBC is add 1/2 C. more sugar and use 1/2 C. Vanilla/Flavoring. This seems to really make the flavor pop and the as for more sugar, I just like a sweeter SMBC. Also, I use 1/2 Salted, 1/2 Unsalted butter....

My issue is the decorating part. Does anyone add anything to there decorating SMBC/IMBC to make it stiffer and hold up better? icon_smile.gif

1/2 C of vanilla/flavoring??? Are you buying it in bulk??? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif But thanks everyone for responding. My old mixer broke and for now all I have is a little handheld one icon_sad.gif but it gets the basics done!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 11

I did a little math with the 3 IMBC recipes I've tried:

http://cakeoricandothat.blogspot.com/2010/03/imbc-math.html

Personally I don't like a lot of butter in my food. I mean, it does taste great and I love to cook with it, but I do get weirded out by the sheer quantity of it that goes into caking.

Definitely try using less if you like. The recipe ends up a little thinner? slippier? with less butter, but it can still work within some bounds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%