Wedding Shows-Your Top Tip?

Business By sugarsugargal Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 11:17am by Auntie_RaRa

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 17

I am a UK baker and about to embark on my first show . . yikes....I wondered if anyone here would be willing to share any of their top tips for shows, I would be so so grateful.

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif
Fiona
x

16 replies
Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 17

Bring lots of samples, a few displays and nice business postcards. Don't expect to talk to everyone but try to say hi to everyone.

cakesbyleila Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyleila Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:42am
post #3 of 17

Don't waste your money by handing out info sheets to every bride that walks up to your booth as most of this literature ends up in the trash can before the bride even leaves the show. Instead, hand out samples and business cards. Information and pricing sheets should only be handed to brides that specifically ask for it.
Cut your samples at your shop before the show starts. There is nothing worse than trying to cut samples, talk, smile, and engage people all at the same time.
HTH

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #4 of 17

I have my first bridal show coming up... should I do a pricing list? didn't even think about that... is there a forum and/or thread that gives the ins and outs of what to do/not to do on a bridal show???

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #5 of 17

I have done quiet a few bridal shows, in fact have one this weekend. I am one of the organizers with a couple of other vendors. Have your table look, elegant, professional with some cake dummies of your work. Also I always have a picture book so some brides can look and then talk more to me if they want. I hand out business cards, and I do flyers also that give the bride some FAQ about what to expect or answer simple questions when it comes to the cakes. I have a pretty glass cupcake stand, that easy to assmeble when I get to the site and put my samples out on those with just a bite size and a pretty little decoration on them to attract attention. My samples are pre-iced and decorated and then put in big sheet size tubberware containers to keep fresh, and then I fill the stand as the samples get empty. I do a general flavor of chocolate and vanilla, and I try to give only the brides the samples, doesn't always work, but I always seem to have enough. Also I am sure you will , but present yourselve as professional as your table presentation is. It looks so nice. I get lots of compliments from my presentations. I guess what I am saying is simple, elegant and professional . Good luck and most of all have fun. thumbs_up.gif

dalis4joe Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 17

Thank a lot! I was thinking of taking 4-5 dummy cakes u think that's good?
also
what are some of the information I should put in the flyer like what kind of Q&A?

koppeskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koppeskreations Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 17

I have done quite a few bridal shows.

Number one thing, take an extra person if you can, someone to do the dirty work of setting out samplesicon_smile.gif That allows you to talk to the brides. Also does help if this person can answer simple questions like pricing.

Sign up sheet. Brides can sign up on this if they would like to talk to you further. Only the really interested ones will and will help you contact the brides that want your services. Have more than one sign up sheet available at your booth if you can.

3rd thing that has been great for me, is that I take small sample cups with lids a 2oz size I believe they are, from Sam's Club. I prepackage these cake samples, put in a bag with a postcard that on the front has a couple pics of cakes and on the back has all my contact info and price listing. Brides love these, they can take a sample home for the fiance if he don't come with and then they also have a general idea of what your costs are. I get these printed through vista print and are cheap, like .03 each. I put a sign on my basket, that says "Brides only please, sample and pricing info"

Also if you do cake dummies, which are great to have also, invest in some small picture frames and print out how much the cake will serve and costs. This will cut down on the ever popular question, "How many and how much does this cake costs?" Doing the picture frames or nice cards displayed next to the cakes make it look very professional and not slapped together.

Bridal shows have been a great way to promote my business, I try to do 2 a year and that keeps me plenty busy.

dalis4joe Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 17

kopperswkreations

Also if you do cake dummies, which are great to have also, invest in some small picture frames and print out how much the cake will serve and costs. This will cut down on the ever popular question, "How many and how much does this cake costs?" Doing the picture frames or nice cards displayed next to the cakes make it look very professional and not slapped together.

AWESOME TIP!! thanks... I will start that right now...

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:52pm
post #9 of 17

Great tips and many I do use when I do shows. I used the picture frames, but, I found these stands from our local rental place. They were a dollar each, but I want to buy my own. I can't find them in my area which tells me I'm looking in the wrong places, but where should I look for them? Also, what are they called so when I can make sure I'm asking by proper name. They are by my bowls of cake samples Hope you can see in picture below....
LL

dalis4joe Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 17

That is awesome.... your set-up looks great... would love to see more pictures of table set-ups.... by stand... do u mean the thing where you have the cards on?

Auntie_RaRa Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 17

Yes, the stands with the cards. I use those metal stands for my cake description and cake flavors.

edit...to say THANK YOU for the compliment!

sugarsugargal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarsugargal Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 10:45pm
post #12 of 17

This is great thank you !

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:00am
post #13 of 17

NETWORK WITH THE OTHER VENDORS!!!!

Take a few samples around before the show starts and chat them up. I wouldn't reccomend doing this after the show, as many are ready to head home. Also, take the time to email the vendors after the show. Set up meetings with ones who may be able to refer business to you and vice versa!

maryspencer2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryspencer2000 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:58am
post #14 of 17

Auntie_RaRa - I did a quick search and I think I found the card holders on the web at foodservicedirect

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:30pm
post #15 of 17

To see other vendor set ups...do google images for "wedding cake booth" or "bridal show booth". Even other types of businesses that have booths may inspire you. I know I've gotten a few ideas from looking at different bridal show expo. booths. I have found that photographers are especially good at bridal show set ups. Try it!

Auntie_RaRa Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks Mary for the tip! I will check it out. I'm not sure what the "correct" name for them and that is why I'm having time finding them.

I also agree about the google tip. I've gottens some ideas from those key words in google!

Auntie_RaRa Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:17am
post #17 of 17

I just read over this forum and saw my last post.... OMG "gottens". I can't believe the fingers were moving that fast and typed that word...It does play to slow down and read the post before going to the SUBMIT button. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%