? For Those Who Love Sugarshack's Buttercream Dvd

Decorating By Sagebrush Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 12:24am by PDXSweetTreats

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 26

Do you use the thickened buttercream dam that she recommends? Do you make it as thick as shown in the video? How big of dam do you use?

I made a cake before viewing the dvd using a regular buttercream dam (4 layers, with filling, buttercream, filling between), and had no problem with filling leakage or bulging.

I made a cake after viewing the dvd with the thickened buttercream dam (same filling style, but the cake was a bit delicate, I think because I hadn't made sufficient adjustments for the higher altitude). The thickened buttercream tore the edges of the cake, hurting the structure and the top tier collapsed outright (I'm not blaming the collapse completely on the thickened buttercream, but I do think it was a factor).

I ate a piece of the collapsed tier, and when I got to the edge of the slice, the part with the thickened buttercream, I just about gagged on it... to me the chewiness made it gross.

Now, in all fairness... I was making the cake with a friend, and I think when she thickened the buttercream, it may have been a little thicker than shown in the video... but not a lot. I think a slightly thickened buttercream might be alright, but I was wondering if everyone used the super-thickened buttercream shown in the video.

25 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 26

I use it and havent had any problems -- havent had any buldging sides on my cakes since I watched the video. I use a regular coupler to apply it at the edge of the cake then add my fillings at the same level as the dam.

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 26

I ordered the DVD just last week, so I am not familiar with her buttercream yet, I like the recipe I have for mine. I've never used a super thick cram for the dam, actually I've even used my IMBC for it, and it has worked good for me...

I hope some else that uses this BC can help you... I am interested to know too, before I make it, once i get my DVD'S

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 26

Same here not problems. It has actually made the sides more stable.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 26

I haven't found Sugarshack's buttercream to be super thick and I have the video. I'm not sure why you thought hers was super-thickened. I'd place it more at a medium-thick consistency. I've made "super-thickened" buttercream before -- trust me, you cannot pipe it! icon_biggrin.gif

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 26

Yes, I use the thickened buttercream damn and it works great especially for fruit fillings.

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 26

This first time I watched her Buttercream DVD my first thought was that the buttercream looked VERY thick, well I decided to give it a try and although it was thicker than I was previously working with I found that I had no problems with it and really liked it.

All I would suggest it that you give it another try and see if it works any better for you.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #8 of 26

I love the idea of a dam, especially with fruit/jam fillings. I make sure my bc is slightly thicker than regular-I would say medium consistency...and this works like a breeze. Like I have said before I do alot of fruit filled cakes and I use a very thin strawberry fruit sauce in between layers and it would be very ugly to have any of it leaking out. The dam prevents this completely and also I can stuff it with the filling so it tastes super moist and yum. Good Luck!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:24pm
post #9 of 26

I don't make a dam like she does (although I don't use really runny fillings either). I just put a tile on top of the cake as it settles and anything that is going to squish out will do it then.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I haven't found Sugarshack's buttercream to be super thick and I have the video. I'm not sure why you thought hers was super-thickened. I'd place it more at a medium-thick consistency. I've made "super-thickened" buttercream before -- trust me, you cannot pipe it! icon_biggrin.gif

I wasn't using her buttercream recipe, but for making the dam, she takes some of her buttercream and adds more powdered sugar until you can easily pick it up without any of it sticking to your fingers. Normal piping would never work, she just used a coupler and piped through that... and yes, it was pretty hard to do even with it that size.

I just found that I hated eating part of the cake with the thickened buttercream dam in it, and so did my family, so I was curious if others found it unpleasant as well.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 26

I have used the thickened buttercream Dam, but only with her recipe, and it works just fine for me I mostly use fruit fillings, maybe you had the problem and the gag effect, because you used a different recipe, and it became too thick, her recipe for the thickened dam is thick but not extremely thick, I have never had any complaints with those cakes.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 26

I hated eating the part with the 'dam' also. Yuck, too much thick frosting. This is why I abandoned the idea, and because I'm lazy icon_lol.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:07pm
post #13 of 26

I have dumped extra Powdered sugar into some buttercream, but it's not thick enough to break off with my hands. It's thicker than the buttercream I ice the cake with, but i can still pipe a dam thru a coupler. I just make sure it's thick enough for me to press on with my finger and it doesn't "smush". I can wiggle the dam into place or move it, if necessary. I've never had a problem with breaking or taste.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm
post #14 of 26

I find her buttercream recipe works well as a damn without making it any thicker. I usually pipe out two layers of the buttercream and never have any leaks. I'm too lazy to make the thick rope of buttercream.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:27pm
post #15 of 26

I just made the thickened dam for the first time yesterday. I haven't eaten the cake yet but I was wondering about the chewiness of the dam buttercream. I don't think I will do it again unless I have a runny filling. I am too lazy as well. That stuff was hard to pipe!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:34am
post #16 of 26

if you guys are struggling to pipe it out of the coupler, it is too thick. It takes a little bit more pressure to pipe it out (as I did in video) but I was not straining or struggling to pipe it out. It does not have to be super hard stiff, just stiff enough to support some of the weight of the layer above.

It has not bothered me or any customer of mine ( that I know of) to eat it. BUt it might bother some. I think maybe if you are having bad results, try it not quite so thick and see if that is better.

HTH some! icon_smile.gif

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:42am
post #17 of 26

Yup, Use it LOVE it!! One thing that I learned though (from another dvd of hers) was to put a little schmere of buttercream before the stiffened buttercream, just to help it stick to the layers icon_smile.gif And I liked the taste of the thickened buttercream icon_smile.gif I also used it like fondant (just made it a little more thick after I piped the dam) and made a nose and some ears for the baby shower cake I was making because they didn't want fondant. Worked great icon_smile.gif Hope you try it again, because it really does help icon_smile.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:56am
post #18 of 26

Use a thickened dam every time, and love it. I don't notice a difference in the taste and haven't heard anyone else mention it. Trust me, if my DH tasted a difference, he'd let me know...he's a cake snob lol.

I get mine pretty thick, but still very pipeable. I don't use a coupler, though. I just cut the tip off of a disposable piping bag...I've done it enough times that I know what size hole I need in the bag. Love the thickened dam...no bulge!

sleeper713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleeper713 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:10am
post #19 of 26

The thickened BC dam works great for me. It keeps the regular BC or whatever you're using as a filling from squishing out, I haven't had any "squishing" problems since I started using it. And I actually like the taste and consistency of it... does that make me weird? icon_lol.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #20 of 26

I just got my Wedding Bouquet Flavor from GSA and can't wait to make her buttercream.... it smells incrediblew... my kids wanted to drink it hehehe

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:45am
post #21 of 26

I only watched it once so far but I thought she took a small amount and added more cs and then rolled it in her gloved hands and then put it around the edges..............was I hallucinating lol..........I better go watch again....love Sharons dvd's all of them....I will no doubt have to watch 100 times before you notice any improvement in my cakes though icon_smile.gif

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:25am
post #22 of 26

I haven't done the dam either, but i love her bc, it's not that sickening sweet, it comes out pretty thick for me, and i was surprised on how much bc she put in after the dam. i do have to thin it down some to make it spread on the cake easier.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:52am
post #23 of 26

I am not actually using her exact recipe at this point...I am just using my usual recipe and using the hot creamer with it....wow it makes it nice...I have never used the bouquet stuff either

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:01am
post #24 of 26

made some for the first time tonight ..... I would say the buttercream was on the medium side..... I loved the taste and it had a good texture.... Light and soft..... I would say that it a little softer than what I have been using... but I will try it again.

webbiedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webbiedeb Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:39pm
post #25 of 26

I love the stiffen buttercream. I have used it several time and find that it really help.

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #26 of 26

Hi, Sagebrush -- You mentioned that your cake was a "bit delicate." Sounds like you may have gotten the BC way too thick, which is why it "tore" your cake, if it had a delicate crumb texture. That damming BC is thicker than normal, but you should be able to pipe it. The first time I did it, I got it way too thick, too and struggled w/piping it out. Next time, not so thick and it worked fine. I haven't found any difference in taste by adding the additional PS to thicken it. HTH and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%