Stainless Steel Wire For Cakes?

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm by kerri729

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:14am
post #1 of 6

I read in a post on here you can insert stainless steel directly into cakes as it is food safe.

Is this true?
If so what sort? where can I get it from? I have googled but got massive rolls of huge stuff lol

5 replies
deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 6

I've heard over and over again that there are no food safe wires. I'd be interested it there is a food safe wire.

BTW - If you insert coffee stirers in your cake and then put the wire in the stirer you have a food safe product.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 6

I have used flower picks and straws but on Ace of Cakes they just have wires coming straight out of cakes all over and wanted to do something like that, guess its not going to happen

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 6

It seems like SOMEONE should have food grade (304 stainless steel) wire....like a chef's supply place or something...

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkitty

It seems like SOMEONE should have food grade (304 stainless steel) wire....like a chef's supply place or something...

If you call your local welding supply store you can get TIG wire from them. You can get 304. But they usually sell it in 10 or 15lb boxes and the smallest it comes is 1/16" (that my local suppliers have)

I am currently working on finding a supplier for approximately 20ga 304 wire. It seems to be moving forward I am just waiting on final pricing and shipping. Once I get that information I can share it once I have it.

And yes 304 Stainless Steel is food safe. (along with some other variations of stainless steel 309, 316, etc.. All food production plants REQUIRE stainless steel where raw product will touch the metal as it won't contaminate the food-of course it still has to be cleaned daily and sometime hourly depending on the product)

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 6

Just make sure that it's CERTIFIED food safe- ask for material certs on it, so you know it is. I buy stainless steel for my company- we manufacture equipment that touches food, beverage and pharmaceutical products, and anything that touches product has to be certified. You can get the Stainless in many grades, but for wires on cakes, I would go at least 304, if not 316L.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%