Bake Even Strips - Yes Or No

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 1:09pm by janeoxo

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:07am
post #1 of 13

I have never used one are they worth it and what do they really do?

12 replies
scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:39am
post #2 of 13

Definitely worth it! They help your cake to rise evenly - no more humps in the middle icon_biggrin.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:52am
post #3 of 13

i bought bake strips after reading about them on this site and they def do the job of a level cake and i just ordered the large size because i found the small dont fit my bigger pan - for me, def worth it

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 9:53am
post #4 of 13

Absolutely worth it! Also helps keep the sides of your cake from getting done before the middle. I baked without them...once. Never again! Ended up with hard edges. By the time trimming was over, my 8" layer ended up a 6" icon_sad.gif

I've read here that some people use wet strips of old toweling to get the same results...much better for the cost factor. icon_smile.gif

Chris6703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chris6703 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:46am
post #5 of 13

Definitely worth the investment, PLUS I added "extenders" by cutting strips off a teflon oven mitt obtained from the local dollar-store. soaked them as usual and pinned them onto the originals, works great !!

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 10:49am
post #6 of 13

For me, after I switched from using the Wilton pans to Magic Line pans in first year of business, I've never had to use the Magic Strips or wet towels again. I bake at 325 degrees, and for larger pan sizes (12" & above) use a flower nail in the middle. After six years, I haven't had any issues.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:34am
post #7 of 13

I use Magic Line pans and the strips. Bake at 325 and use the flower nails. Makes a level cake and the edges don't get as crisp!

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:49am
post #8 of 13

Absolutely worth it. They make such a huge difference. You don't have to buy the Wilton ones though. I have those but I also tore up part of an old towel to make strips that were long enough to go around my larger pans. The towels work just as well as the strips themselves, and they're much cheaper!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 11:51am
post #9 of 13

I like them.

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 13

They do work well but after reading a thread here on CC about leveling cakes, they used a clean cotton dish towel. When the cake comes out of the oven just press down gently all over the top of the cake. I have been doing this for a long time and it works great and no need for bake even strips. The only thing I have noticed doing it this way is the cake is a little bit denser. Just remember to do it just as soon as it comes out of the ovenicon_smile.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:30pm
post #11 of 13

I don't find them to be that effective. I do still use them with my cheapo pans but do not use them with my magic line pans. I actually found that using them with my magic line pans caused my edges to be too undone! And I feel the need to level my cake after its baked regardless of whether I use the strips or not.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:57pm
post #12 of 13

I'm going to have to get some of those Magic Line pans. They sound wonderful.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:09pm
post #13 of 13

YES YES DEFINITELY YES. I never have to level a cake anymore, saves time and less wastage. I do also pop a flower nail in as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%