Question About Cake Contest Here On Cc

Decorating By ayerim979 Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 5:04am by KathysCC

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:11am
post #1 of 6

Please no one take this the wrong way, I am not trying to be a smart A@$ or anything I am just wondering.

How come we are allowed to place cake entries from years back? And also why is it not divided into categories for like begginners/advance decorators? I believe it just beats the purpose of the whole thing, and I think it makes it a little more fair for everyone.

Someone that started baking 3 months ago is PROBABLY not going to win over someone that had been decorating for years. JMO

Example: On another website you have to post a little note besides your cake to state date of entry and theme . And they do divide it in categories such as beginner, intermediate, advance.

Anyhow I know that it will probably be more work and I know that CC moderaters are regular people with a life but again I was just wondering. I am not trying to bash anyone in particular, I just think it will make things a little more fun.

5 replies
MrsPound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsPound Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 6

I COMPLETLY and TOTALLY agree with you!!! I have been decorating for a few short months with no training. I have done 3.5 cakes so far. I love to enter in contests because it is fun, but I can't compete with these large bakeries who are doing this for a living.

They do a wonderful job, but I would love to see a contest/category for us newbies!

Just My opinion icon_smile.gif

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #3 of 6

yeah the reality is that it is not feasible for us to run that kind of contest with the number of users on the site.

We don't have the ability to moderate it correctly and we would just spend all our time providing customer support for the contest.

We put up the contests to be fun, and easy to administer.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 2:26am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath

yeah the reality is that it is not feasible for us to run that kind of contest with the number of users on the site.

We don't have the ability to moderate it correctly and we would just spend all our time providing customer support for the contest.

We put up the contests to be fun, and easy to administer.

I totally understand and I believe I stated that I know all of you guys (moderators) have a life and cannot keep everyone happy.

Thank you for taking the time to answer

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:29am
post #5 of 6

I'm was glad to see these posts because I was thinking the same thing about newbies having to compete against professionals...pretty tough to win. I understand the difficulty though of being able filter everyone into a specific catagory. It's just fun that we have the contests here at CC and it gives us newbies a chance to practice our new found skills. icon_smile.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:04am
post #6 of 6

I look at all the contest cakes and believe me, it would be impossible to distinguish newbie cake decorators from pros. I've seen people post a cake that could rival the best of the best and it is only the second cake they've ever made.

Just something to think about. There is just no way to draw a line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%