Can I Dowel, Stack And Freeze?

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 12:14am by Justbeck101

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake for Saturday for my son's birthday. I haved baked all of the cakes and am icing them today. I have to dowel and stack a couple of cakes (they're small, 6 inches and 4 inches) in order to make two towers. I want to know if, once I ice my two 6 inch tiers, can I stack them and then put them in the freezer? Ultimately they will get covered in fondant but don't want to chance freezing it as I have never tried. I am asking because I am having surgery on Thursday icon_cry.gif (his party is Saturday) and I want to get as much done beforehand as I am not sure how I will feel Friday and Saturday. Thoughts? Thanks!

4 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 5

meaning refrigerate your cakes already stacked? I dont see why not? are the tiers thick?

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 5

Basically its two, 6 inch tiers (two layers each) stacked as you would a tiered cake but tiers are the same size. I want to dowel the bottom one and stack the second one and then put them in the freezer. I will thaw and apply fondant Friday or Saturday.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 5

I wouldn't crumb coat them before freezing them but otherwise you can fill and freeze...just double wrap well. I love Press n Seal myself.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:14am
post #5 of 5

I read somewhere else on here that you can freeze them with the buttercream on them, but the buttercream will crack as it thaws. But since you are going to cover them in fondant then I would just make sure they are completely thawed first, fix the cracks and cover with fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%