Fondant Tips On Covering Baseball Cap?

Decorating By mommy2kids Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 6:01am by robyndmy

mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 5

Any tips on covering my first fondant cake? I am making a baseball cap over a base. Need Help .. cake for Sat! Never covered cake in fondant before.. thanks

4 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 5

There are LOTS of great tutorials on YouTube that will walk you thru the process. For your first time remember to make enough fondant for mistakes! My first fondant cake I covered 3 times before I got it to how I wanted it! LOL!

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 5

Yep, tons of great tips on YouTube. That's how I learned everything! When kneading fondant, especially if it's been left overnight, I found that the microwave and Crisco were my best friends.

Let us know if you have any specific questions as you go through! icon_smile.gif

mommy2kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2kids Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:27am
post #4 of 5

Ok , so my fondant tore while i was putting in on the cake and it was an odd shape and i couldnt figure out how to cover the corners so it overlapped icon_sad.gif seemed pretty easy until i came to corners lol then not so much!

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 6:01am
post #5 of 5

Aww, that's too bad!! I'll admit that I haven't done that many corners, but I usually just go really slowly. smoothing out the top couple of centimetres all around, then the next centimetres down, etc. Hopefully with more and more practice, we'll both get better! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%